Creating a DOS database

Mr A! 15:19 20 Aug 2004

I am needing to create a dos database. Can anyone help. I want to create the database for free is possible.

Thanks

AndySD 16:04 20 Aug 2004

Why DOS?

If you can run it on any other operating system then try the free MySQL. click here

AndySD 16:07 20 Aug 2004

Why DOS?

If you can run it on any other operating system then try the free MySQL. click here

pj123 17:14 20 Aug 2004

Yes, I agree. Why DOS? Tell us what operating system you have and we can then point you in the right direction.

Mr A! 13:20 22 Aug 2004

The company which has just started has about 100 windows 95 computers. They wanted a dos database created as windows 95 are not that fast!

pj123 13:54 22 Aug 2004

Right, I have just sorted out some 100 year old floppy disks that I seem to be keeping. I remembered I had a DIY database kit, but it is in Basic. It consists of 4 programme disks and a Basic Compiler. I think I only used it twice but it was fairly simple (if you know something about DOS and Basic).

I also found 7 floppy disks called Microsoft Works for Windows 95. Contain wordprocessor, spreadsheet and database.

You are welcome to these disks if you want to give them a try. Just email me your address and I will post them to you.

Valvegrid 14:19 22 Aug 2004

We use Borland Dbase IV in DOS to manage a large database of 5000 items of equipment. We have it on 3 computers in the department. Its very fast, never crashes, even if it does we just rebuild the database from one of the other computers. If we want to run reports, we simply import it into either MS Excel or Access. I know its not free, but its not that expensive either.

click here

We also have a dedicated database which we pay a yearly licence for, but compaired to the DOS one its clumbersome and we can't easily modify it to what we want without refering back to the designers every time.

Valvegrid 14:19 22 Aug 2004

We use Borland Dbase IV in DOS to manage a large database of 5000 items of equipment. We have it on 3 computers in the department. Its very fast, never crashes, even if it does we just rebuild the database from one of the other computers. If we want to run reports, we simply import it into either MS Excel or Access. I know its not free, but its not that expensive either.

click here

We also have a dedicated database which we pay a yearly licence for, but compared to the DOS one its cumbersome and we can't easily modify it to what we want without referring back to the designers every time.

Valvegrid 14:21 22 Aug 2004

Tut tut, sorry about that, I thought I'd stopped the first post because there was some typos in it, so just ignore it, thanks.

Valvegrid 14:32 22 Aug 2004

Just found this on ebay:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?