Create Restore Point Desktop Shortcut

huzzar 13:18 20 Nov 2004

I put a shortcut on my desktop to enable me to create a Restore Point in System Restore which I use before I install new software etc. I made this Restore point Icon from instructions I got from a PC Advisor Magazine some time ago. It is a VBScript script file.

Trouble is I don't know how it was done. Does anyone have the Script please.

Gongoozler 15:09 20 Nov 2004

If you can give me a clue to what issue PCA this was in, I'll have a look, otherwise this claims to do a similar job:-
click here

huzzar 17:20 20 Nov 2004

Gongoozler - I created the Restore point on the 22nd of June 2003 so it must have come from a PCAdvisor magazine that was out then, probably the Aug 2003 edition.

I have had a look at the link you suggested but none of them are the same, all this Restore point does is as it says, creates a new restore point in your System Restore without you having to go into the program at all, it simply does it for you.

I would appreciate it if you will have a look in your back copies for me as this is a great little desktop item for WinXP and everyone should have one I think.

smudge101 18:23 20 Nov 2004

In XP Pro you can right click the desktop and select new shortcut and set the path to %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Works for me!

MAJ 18:28 20 Nov 2004

'Force System Restore Point
set Restore = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore")

if (Restore.CreateRestorePoint("Forced Restore Point", 0, 100)) = 0 then
MsgBox "Restore point created"

else
MsgBox "Create Restore Point failed!"

end if

MAJ 18:49 20 Nov 2004

'Force System Restore Point

set Restore = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:SystemRestore")

if (Restore.CreateRestorePoint("Forced Restore Point", 0, 100)) = 0 then

MsgBox "Restore point created"

else

MsgBox "Create Restore Point failed!"

end if

Gongoozler 19:12 20 Nov 2004

Well spotted MAJ. I searched through the same issue and failed to find it, but then the Wife always says I look for things with my eyes closed ;-))

MAJ 19:14 20 Nov 2004

I nearly missed it myself, Gongoozler, I thought it would be in the Helpline section, but it's in the XP Advisor section on page 123.

huzzar 10:02 21 Nov 2004

Thats great everyone, thanks a million.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment utiliser l’Apple Store Éducation ?