Crackling on audio from monitor speakers

lilythepink 20:26 25 Jan 2004

My computer got a virus last week, and it had to be reformatted. I lost everything, but now the sound is dreadful, like an old cracked record. The speakers are in my LCD monitor.

The sound was fine before, and before anyone says did I check the cables, I have.

Help

mib

Cuddles 20:54 25 Jan 2004

Have you checked the settings for the volume and other levels? you may find something has been ticked where it should not have been.

lilythepink 20:59 25 Jan 2004

Thanks, where would i check this?

TommyRed 21:02 25 Jan 2004

I had a similar problem, though not as bad, and it was the driver for the sound card, or in my case onboard sound. I never sorted it properly and changed to a new PC shortly after so I never bothered. It just crackled on certain parts of games and occassionally when I played music. Have you checked all your drivers are up to date? HTH TR

lilythepink 21:08 25 Jan 2004

How do I do this?

TommyRed 21:18 25 Jan 2004

In my case I had to find out the sound manufacturer and go to their site to get the driver. If I remember I was helped on here as I'm sure you will be. Aida 32 normally tells you what drivers are needed click here and where to get them, I think. HTH TR

TommyRed 21:25 25 Jan 2004

Who reformatted your PC, if it was done in a shop they should put all the drivers back on. TR

TommyRed 21:29 25 Jan 2004

I've got to go now. Please tell us what OS you are using. TR

lilythepink 21:38 25 Jan 2004

I don't think the shop had the drivers, or maybe forgot. Its a long drive back though. I am using Windows Me. Thanks for all your help.

How do I find out the sound card manufacturer, is it the same as the motherboard?

Cuddles 21:45 25 Jan 2004

Have a look in your programs files and see if you have a folder for the soundcard and check settings there and rightclick on speaker icon in taskbar where clock is displayed and go to properties and check for ticks.

lilythepink 23:16 25 Jan 2004

Creative sound is the name I have found in my programs.
How do I find the programme list with the speaker icon!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?