CPU usage.

appren 14:41 26 Jun 2006

If I monitor my CPU usage I find that whenever I go on line, use MSN Messenger on voice, the CPU reads 100%. I can use voice communication (just) but if I try video its is impossible. Much the same whenever I try using DVD when I get 'jerky' sound. All the above shows 100% CPU usage.I have checked for programs running in the background, none seem to be obvious. Can anyone help?

martjc 14:53 26 Jun 2006

...please supply - processor, amount of RAM, Video card (have you the latest drivers). Also, have you the latest version of Messenger? Older ones than 7.5 were a little jerky and generally, a bit iffy to use.

appren 15:10 26 Jun 2006

My processor is an AMD K7 type (more detail is not readily available), my RAM is 750Mg, my video is built in to motherboard which is a Matsonic MS8308D/E and my MSN is the latest version. Further to my problem - up until recently all functions were perfect. This is a recent failure.

martjc 08:54 11 Jul 2006

...anyone else out there who can answer this???

Stuartli 09:13 11 Jul 2006

The Matsonic motherboards support and downloads page is unavailable at present. See:

click here

However, IIRC, these boards have for some time been rebadged PCChips models (both are now Elite Computer Systems brand names).

Specifications details are at:

click here

or

click here

You may need to update the onboard video drivers, motherboard drivers, Bios etc

rmcqua 09:38 11 Jul 2006

...I'm afraid, is 7 year old technology and is hopelessly inadequate for modern computing needs. It probably has a maximum speed of 500MHz. It will be using 100% of its processing power to do just about anything!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?