CPU temperatures in a mini-tower...

MjM Hellfire 10:36 05 Aug 2003

My friend just built his first pc, a Duron 1.3ghz and an Asrock motherboard with onboard graphics/sound and modem, 4 USB ports, 2 PCI slots, 50Gig hard drive (10+40), floppy and DVD-Rom. Very basic really for his first attempt.

The fan cost around £8 and is quiet big compared to the CPU socket. Anyway, when I went into his bios to have a look that everything was ok, I noticed his CPU temp was at 65 degrees and the motherboard was at 50. The 256 dimm had a heat spreader on it already and was quite warm.

Obviously mini towers wont let the same ammount of air in as a full tower, but is this sort of temp range ok. I had the pc running for about 5 hours with no side effects and no increase in the 65 CPU temp.

Thanks.

Aspman 11:13 05 Aug 2003

I was told in this forum that the AMD chips can run as hot as that quite happily. But (IMHO) I would rather have my chips a bit cooler. It does seem a bit high for a Duron. It shouldn't matter a great deal how big the tower is, but how good the supply of cool air is. If the case has space for a couple of fans (one exhaust at the back high up and one bringing air in at the front low down) should drop the temp a bit take the stress of the chips a little and only cost a tenner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?