CPU running at 100%; but no programs running

p;3 11:34 29 Oct 2006

one of my machines has an extremely noisy fan and, if I merely run a simple scanning program such as adaware , I am up to 100% on the cpu and the machine seems to freeze; I am assuming that the fan could be the cause of this?

Belatucadrus 11:45 29 Oct 2006

High CPU load, noisy fan and system freeze would seem to be an overheating problem, but I think you need to pinpoint the noisy fan. If it's the CPU fan and the noise is new, then it's probably got a bearing that's about to kick the bucket and needs replacing ASAP. If it's a case fan that's making the noise, then replace it by all means, but the problem may lie elsewhere.
Whatever the cause it sounds like a spring clean inside the case while you check out the fans would be a good idea.

p;3 23:32 29 Oct 2006

its getting a new fan and sort out next week ; if it still wont play ball with the scans its gonna get a log thrown at it

woodchip 23:14 31 Oct 2006

Think youare getting mixed up with 100% if you look Ithink you will see that it says IDLE by the 100%

Freez could be you need a new CPU fan, as above overheating. GET ONE FAST before the CPU goes boom

p;3 02:21 01 Nov 2006

having managed to get back on line ( for how long remains to be seen); the machine has had some attention this evening and i will try it out later to see if woodchip is right;however, it seems that more maintenance may well be needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?