CPU running at 100% constantly

ronec1 16:49 08 Jan 2017

My wife's Windows 7 laptop is very slow. Task Manager shows CPU at 100%. There is very little software installed and some Toshiba bloatware has been removed. I have scanned for virus and malware using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. I have checked the services and svhost is 98%on the CPU column. Attached is a screen print of what is highlighted in Services. Any ideas how to get it back to normal?

ronec1 16:53 08 Jan 2017

The attachment seems not to have loaded, so will try here. click here

Secret-Squirrel 17:57 08 Jan 2017

......and svhost is 98%on the CPU column.

Before you can think about how to fix the problem you'll need to identify the specific service that's causing your CPU all that bother. Here's how:

In Task Manager's "Performance" section, click on the button to launch the Resource Monitor. When that opens, click the CPU tab, identify the culprit that's using all the CPU cycles (svchost) then tick it. Look in the lower panes of that window for the name of the sub-process that's over-active. You'll probably find what you're looking for in the "Services" pane.

ronec1 18:47 08 Jan 2017

Thanks secret squirreel. When I find it do I just 'end the process' or try and find why it is causing the problem

Secret-Squirrel 18:59 08 Jan 2017

...do I just 'end the process' .......

Oooh er - don't do that because you could crash Windows :(

When you find the specific culprit let me know its name and I'll advise further. I'm guessing it's the Windows Update service that's causing your problems but I want to be sure first.

ronec1 19:02 08 Jan 2017

Cheers!

ronec1 19:17 08 Jan 2017

Okay, I have just fired the laptop up again. All seemed okay for a few minutes the the svchost.exe(netsvcs) has gone to 98%

ronec1 23:15 08 Jan 2017

Think I might have sorted it, with a download that checks the Microsoft Updates, for faults. I said it found something and fixed it, so we will see what happens in a couple of days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?