CPU RAM UPGRADE ADVICE NEEDED

David Frederick 08:21 23 Aug 2018

Hi guys,

New here and looking to upgrade (buy and self install) the CPU / RAM on my old computer from 2013 (mainly to produce music). My question is, what are the things I should be looking out for when buying new parts and is it even possible?! My current spec is as follows:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3470 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P8H61-M LE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA

3.0Gb/s

Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

2nd Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0

PORT

Power Supply 350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling INTEL SOCKET LGA1155 STANDARD CPU COOLER

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS

Any help you guys could offer would be hugely appreciated, as well as any other recommendations on what might help increase speed.

Many thanks

David

martd7 08:46 23 Aug 2018

I have a slightly better set up than yourself and produce music using FL Studio but due to the number of Arturia's and U-he vst instruments I do get a bit of overload on the RAM

16gb of Ram and a proper soundcard is a necessity for music producing

David Frederick 08:57 23 Aug 2018

You’re right.. 16Gb of ram will surely be necessary. I was wondering more about the specifics of upgrading the RAM/CPU, however. Don’t want to buy the parts and then realise they aren’t compatible. I’ve been producing music for over ten years and have a decent sound card etc. - as you point out martd, 64bit plugins/vsts are putting increasing stress on the cpu to the point where I’m experiencing popping/crackling at a certain stage in a project.

Thanks!

martd7 13:30 23 Aug 2018

Think this is your board

click here upgrade the ram you would need to buy 2x8 1333mhz ddr3

If your not having CPU problems I would leave that and just try the ram

To

wee eddie 16:23 23 Aug 2018

This is not my field of experience. However, I have been about here for a while and this is a distillation of what I have learned.

Your MOBO will limit your opportunities to upgrade your processor and most such upgrades are disappointing. A better solution would be to get a combined MOBO & CPU Package.

With a new MOBO you could go for faster RAM at the same time

Secret-Squirrel 17:29 23 Aug 2018

.................64bit plugins/vsts are putting increasing stress on the cpu............

Have you actually checked Task Manager and confirmed that your CPU and memory need upgrading? If memory usage never goes above 80% and your CPU never hits 100% for prolonged periods then upgrading your hardware is likely to be a waste of your time and money. Your current specs look OK to me.

martd7 21:22 23 Aug 2018

SS

Once the music your producing starts popping and crackling you know your overloading CPU,RAM or both,In FL Studio that i use, the program has graphs that give you info about how much cpu and memory is being used,often the CPU/ memory redlines with too many VSTs running leading sometimes to a complete program crash

Secret-Squirrel 08:46 24 Aug 2018

OK Mart - thanks for that.

David Frederick 11:23 24 Aug 2018

Thanks for the info guys - you've been very helpful

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs