CPU RAM UPGRADE ADVICE NEEDED

David Frederick 08:21 23 Aug 2018

Hi guys,

New here and looking to upgrade (buy and self install) the CPU / RAM on my old computer from 2013 (mainly to produce music). My question is, what are the things I should be looking out for when buying new parts and is it even possible?! My current spec is as follows:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3470 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® P8H61-M LE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA

3.0Gb/s

Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

2nd Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0

PORT

Power Supply 350W Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling INTEL SOCKET LGA1155 STANDARD CPU COOLER

Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS

Any help you guys could offer would be hugely appreciated, as well as any other recommendations on what might help increase speed.

Many thanks

David

martd7 08:46 23 Aug 2018

I have a slightly better set up than yourself and produce music using FL Studio but due to the number of Arturia's and U-he vst instruments I do get a bit of overload on the RAM

16gb of Ram and a proper soundcard is a necessity for music producing

David Frederick 08:57 23 Aug 2018

You’re right.. 16Gb of ram will surely be necessary. I was wondering more about the specifics of upgrading the RAM/CPU, however. Don’t want to buy the parts and then realise they aren’t compatible. I’ve been producing music for over ten years and have a decent sound card etc. - as you point out martd, 64bit plugins/vsts are putting increasing stress on the cpu to the point where I’m experiencing popping/crackling at a certain stage in a project.

Thanks!

martd7 13:30 23 Aug 2018

Think this is your board

click here upgrade the ram you would need to buy 2x8 1333mhz ddr3

If your not having CPU problems I would leave that and just try the ram

To

wee eddie 16:23 23 Aug 2018

This is not my field of experience. However, I have been about here for a while and this is a distillation of what I have learned.

Your MOBO will limit your opportunities to upgrade your processor and most such upgrades are disappointing. A better solution would be to get a combined MOBO & CPU Package.

With a new MOBO you could go for faster RAM at the same time

Secret-Squirrel 17:29 23 Aug 2018

.................64bit plugins/vsts are putting increasing stress on the cpu............

Have you actually checked Task Manager and confirmed that your CPU and memory need upgrading? If memory usage never goes above 80% and your CPU never hits 100% for prolonged periods then upgrading your hardware is likely to be a waste of your time and money. Your current specs look OK to me.

martd7 21:22 23 Aug 2018

SS

Once the music your producing starts popping and crackling you know your overloading CPU,RAM or both,In FL Studio that i use, the program has graphs that give you info about how much cpu and memory is being used,often the CPU/ memory redlines with too many VSTs running leading sometimes to a complete program crash

Secret-Squirrel 08:46 24 Aug 2018

OK Mart - thanks for that.

David Frederick 11:23 24 Aug 2018

Thanks for the info guys - you've been very helpful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?