CPU Overload

Big Trev 21:29 27 Jun 2004

I am running Windows XP Professional SP1 on a PC with an Athalon 1.16Gig CPU and 512Meg of RAM. Despite not doing anything too demanding the processor seems to be running at 100% usage all the time. I have around 50 background processes running, but this still seems high.

Can anybody explain why this might be and what I can do about it?

matt1234 21:41 27 Jun 2004

ok first go into safemode (tap f8 at start up) and see if it does it their!

If no go to msconfig> start up and check to see if their are any programs that maybe starting up draining power

safemode 21:52 27 Jun 2004

go to task manager, click processes and see which process is using a chunk the CPU.

most likely spyware or virus.

Big Trev 22:34 27 Jun 2004

I started the computer in diagnostic mode and the CPU usage was negligible.

Then rebooted as normal and CPU usage had dropped (currently hovering between 7% and 19%) but the biggest user of CPU is "Syaten Idle Process". What does that do?

Also, has anyone heard of heco.exe? It starts when my PC boots and I have no idea what it is.

Big Trev 22:35 27 Jun 2004

I started the computer in diagnostic mode and the CPU usage was negligible.

Then rebooted as normal and CPU usage had dropped (currently hovering between 7% and 19%) but the biggest user of CPU is "System Idle Process". What does that do?

Also, has anyone heard of heco.exe? It starts when my PC boots and I have no idea what it is.

johnnyrocker 22:38 27 Jun 2004

google could not find it unless you typo'd it, so cant be too bad i would think.

johnny

VoG II 22:40 27 Jun 2004

heco.exe - Google yields nothing, so suspicious. Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

Update each of them before running a scan.

Big Trev 22:44 27 Jun 2004

Heco.exe isn't a typo. I just checked. In the description in Properties it says "ChannelUp v.1.0.

Any ideas anybody? Pest Patrol doesn't pick it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?