CPU fan only spins once booted in safe mode

JamesMc18 17:53 27 Sep 2016

I have recently been having issues with my cpu fan. When i turn my computer on it doesnt spin and after a while the system just shuts itself down without warning because of this.

However, i have found a temporary solution but i need to find a permanent fix. Currently if i boot the system in safe mode and then restart the computer a couple of times the fan spins. Im not sure why this is.

Do i need a new cpu fan or could it be something software/OS related?

Thanks.

xania 15:57 28 Sep 2016

Anything hardware related would not be affected by the way you run your software. However, the only thing that I can think of to stop your fan from spinning would be software that switches the fan an and off dependant on CPU temperature - this software might not run in safe mode. If you have such software installed, stop it from running at boot up and see if this solves the problem.

Burn-it 19:07 28 Sep 2016

Make and Model of computer??

bumpkin 19:38 28 Sep 2016

Is this a desktop, if so then then make sure the fan is clean and not covered in fluff which could stop it physically. If that is ok then probably a sensor giving a wrong temperature input as xania suggests.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs