Couple of 'glitches' with IE8

Furkin 13:08 30 Sep 2009

I installed IE8 yesterday.
1/ When I go on to certain forums, I can no longer use the smell checker. I get a message saying that I can download seSpell (I think) which I did.
It also says that it should then reside in Tools,,, but I can't find it.
The spell checker in Office etc is unaffected.

2/ I was mid way in writing a long report & decided to put the kettle on. When I came back, the machine was doing a MS Update, then turned the machine off, to re-start.
Up till yesterday, my machine would check for - & install updates - as I was switching off. This suited me better,,,,
I've looked into Auto Update scheduling, but only get a list of Times, not a choice on "When switching Off / On".
Any idea what I might previously had it set to ?
Or has that option been omitted from IE8 ?

rawprawn 13:33 30 Sep 2009

Go to Tools> Manage Add- Ons, and enable Spell Checker

Furkin 00:13 01 Oct 2009

Cheers RP: The checker is already enabled.

rdave13 00:48 01 Oct 2009

If it's iespell checker you use then download again and save to desktop. Even if it shows enabled in add-ons it might have become corrupted. Install again (over the top)
click here

Not sure of your OS but something like start- control panel-security- turn automatic updates on or off (vista) and select 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'.
Xp, start, c/p, Security center, updates.

rdave13 00:50 01 Oct 2009

PS once you've reinstalled iespell you'll have to close ie8 and reopen for it to work.

Furkin 08:16 01 Oct 2009

Cheers Dave,
I use XP Pro - SP3.
The only time I see this (so far) is when i'm on forums that allow you to check spelling of a post or thread.
I don't get a choice of what to use. It just comes up saying that "iespell isn't detected - download now ?"
I followed your chain above,,,, (& still have a copy on D.Top) to noah vale.
FYI: There is also a "let me choose" bit in XP.

By the way - is PCA the only forum with no spell checker etc ?

birdface 09:01 01 Oct 2009

You can download IE7pro add-on that has a spell checker with it.
if you download it make sure Ad-Blocker is ticked and Mini Download manager is unticked,

birdface 09:03 01 Oct 2009

click here if you make any changes to it you have to restart Internet Explorer for them to take effect.

Furkin 10:43 02 Oct 2009

BM: Tried that thanks.
a/ It hasn't helped.
b/ I don't see where it is on my machine.
c/ I didn't see where I could un/tick Ad Pops + Mini etc.

Restarted both IE8 and the machine to give it a chance, but to no avail.

Furkin 10:53 02 Oct 2009

PS: Is it just a coincidence,,,, or is IE8 a hell of a lot slower when searching the internet ? Mine has been a pig since the upgrade,,,,

whoooa,,,,, IESPELL has just kicked in here on PCA ?!?! Never seen it before !

Just checked a couple of other forae, & it do seem fixed - many many thanks.

There must be a reason why it didn't work as it should, without this faffing ?

I'll 'Resolved' this and start another post for point 2 (in op).

thanks again

Sea Urchin 12:05 02 Oct 2009

IESpell is an add-on to the browser - not the PCA site. It's available for all sites.

To display the link on your toolbar right-click the links bar and select Customize Command Bar - then Add or Remove Commands. In the left pane highlight IESpell and click Add -

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?