Could really use help with my broken PC ?

Matt Southall 16:19 28 Feb 2018

Okay so to run you the short story my pc broke about a week ago and it was an error with windows but I didn't realise that to start with.

So to try and fix at this point and problem I had no clue with I tried factory resetting my pc and restoring it but neither would work. So i decided to open up my computer and just get rid of the dust in my pc ( not to much in there ) either way I took of the fans and the CPU and clean of the ''dust'' turned out it wasn't dust it was thermal paste. As i fixed the problem ( had to re do windows 10 then factory reset it ) my PC looked like it was running fine. I play a game called league of legends im sure you would of heard of it and its games can last up to around an hour but generally around 30-45 mins.

I get 150fps which is fine its great but after about 20-25 minutes of the game I drop to 50fps for no reason that I can see. I've checked temp and it seems around 40 so I have no Idea what the problem could be ? it does it every game tried re installing drivers Iv'e ordered some more paste to apply when it arrives but I don't think its going to fix my problem ?

[DELETED] 16:43 28 Feb 2018

What are going to have to do when you get the new paste is before you put any on is to make sure both faces are perfectly clean, and I mean clean, no dust or anything else, what the heatsink paste does is to iron out any microscopic irregularities in the surfaces.

In fact, there is a good tutorial on this site that tells you what you need to know.

Matt Southall 16:47 28 Feb 2018

thankyou for the reply so fast. Do you think that will be the problem then ?

[DELETED] 17:03 28 Feb 2018

I could well be, if you haven't put the heatsink back correctly and getting "hotspots" on the CPU. Best to follow the instructions on replacing the heatsink paste and take it from there.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple