Could I have the wrong sound driver installed?

[DELETED] 17:31 20 Sep 2003

From my previous thread which was unresolved, I had drivers incl sound fitted by a local shop, but there is some noise when playing music or games. The driver that's been fitted is a ' SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio' driver but I've checked the motherboard manufacturer's site (MSI) and for a MSI-6183 you need a Creative ES-1373 sound driver, can someone confirm this is correct as I can download it for 98SE. Also, in case everything goes pear shaped how can I save the other driver to re-use if needed? Thanks TR

[DELETED] 17:45 20 Sep 2003

click here For msi 6183 sound driver info. click here for the msi6183 board manual, then click on download, choose open, [It's an acrobat file] then click on the first Icon and page one says, "Sound Driver is Creative ES 1373".

I would go with that one as being correct. j.

[DELETED] 17:51 20 Sep 2003

click here For info. on the [SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio' driver] j.

[DELETED] 17:58 20 Sep 2003

To save the driver you have at the moment, go to windows explorer/all programs, and you should be able to see the folder with the files inside. Save this folder to desktop then un-install from add/remove programs, [I think that's where it will be in 98se.]. Install new driver and if it's OK then bin the old one, if not, remove and re-install your current one. j.

[DELETED] 18:55 20 Sep 2003

Djohn, get the following error message "Unhandled Exception. Error Number: 0x80040702 Description: Failed to load dll.adminchk Setup will now terminate" from add/remove programs and after SoundMAX file is moved to desktop. TR

[DELETED] 19:05 20 Sep 2003

Not sure on this message. I've had a look at reference to "Error Number: 0x80040702" and it's causes but can't quite fit it to sound drivers in particular. Need some more help with this one please from anyone that knows the answer. j.

[DELETED] 20:13 20 Sep 2003

Djohn, can the existing driver be removed in device manager by right clicking and choosing 'remove'? Also how do I install the new one from a zipped file? TR

[DELETED] 20:43 20 Sep 2003

refresh

[DELETED] 21:42 20 Sep 2003

Tried to remove it from device manager and run the install for the new driver but that just freezes 18% in and the wizard searches, finds and installs the driver I'm trying to get rid of, any ideas? TR

[DELETED] 10:29 21 Sep 2003

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?