Correct way to install graphics card drivers?

Flak999 20:30 02 Jan 2018

Following on from my recent posts regarding problems with blue screens in windows I have since determined my graphics card drivers were the problem. (thanks rdave!)

I now have my system back up and running and I would like someone to post the definitive method of upgrading or reinstalling graphics card drivers please. I will detail the way I have always done it and perhaps you could point out the flaws in my method or suggest ways it could be improved.

When upgrading these drivers in Windows 7 I go to programs and features in control panel and remove the graphics drivers and everything else Nvidia related. I then run Ccleaner and remove any Nvidia registry entries it finds. I then reboot the system and disable Windows security essentials. Windows is now using generic windows drivers for the display I then run the driver file I have downloaded from the Nvidia website, pick clean install and let the installation program do it's stuff, on successful completion I again reboot the system and am hopefully good to go!

Is this the correct method or am I missing something important?

martd7 21:19 02 Jan 2018

Don't kmow if theres a right way and a wrong way,back years ago you had to remove the graphics card driver and install the new one,nowadays you can install over the top of the old driver,i do it all the time and haven't had any trouble

Something i dont do is use the Gforce experience programme, it caused me no end of problems,screen locking up,aborting the install half way,i just go to the Nvidia site and download a new driver if I need to,example when I purchased COD WW2 the game advised using the latest driver for best performance

Flak999 22:08 02 Jan 2018

martd7

Thanks for the reply, yes I don't use the Geforce experience program either as I have read bad things about it. I suppose I am just looking for confirmation that the way I do it is the correct way?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 02 Jan 2018

If you right click in device manager and select update driver then what you get is often the latest one that windows has for the card.

I normaly check the manufactures web site and download the latest an just click to install it over the other.

However i have and old game I like playing but it runs in 800x600 and my card just gives me a blank screen so I'm actually running and old Nvidea driver just to play this game.

Flak999 22:32 02 Jan 2018

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

That's interesting, I have never updated the graphics driver that way before. Like you I always get the latest one from Nvidias website. As a matter of interest do you happen to know if they are stopping driver support for Win 7?

One poster intimated that as Win 7 is now an older operating system driver support might be flaky?

MJS WARLORD 22:49 02 Jan 2018

I never delete old graphics drivers just in case I get a faulty download. They don't take up much memory so I keep them just in case something goes wrong. that said you don't need to save loads of them , just the last 2 or 3. Yes I know you should always get the latest driver but if they were to stop supporting windows 7 and your current driver works , does it really matter.

Menzie 22:54 02 Jan 2018

According to Nvidia you should uninstall the drivers first and then install the new ones.

Personally I've never done this on any hardware in the last 10 years and just click the installer of the new driver.

With my GeForce 660 I never had any issues and with my current card (Radeon 290X) an issue has not arisen as yet.

Flak999 22:59 02 Jan 2018

MJS WARLORD

So are you saying you never uninstall old drivers, you just install new ones over the top?

MJS WARLORD 23:05 02 Jan 2018

If you update a card driver without removing the old one , when you run the install program you will see it take out the old one for you.

Menzie 23:44 02 Jan 2018

Correct, all the drivers I've used either upgrade the existing drivers and software on the spot or remove the old one before putting itself on the system.

In case of issues the old driver is still kept in C:\Nvidia or C:\AMD as applicable.

Gordon Freeman 10:41 03 Jan 2018

I don't use the Geforce experience program either as I have read bad things about it.

Well have you actually tried it, as opposed to just basing yr decision on what you've read?

I use it on my Win 10 machine, & never had a problem with it [using GTX 1070 card]. The good thing about it is it will tell you when a new driver is available, and do the install for you, so no faffing about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?