cordless mouse question

acein1 12:43 13 Dec 2004

hi my friend has a "gateway" p/c ,where the mouse is connected to the "keyboard" via usb,the problem is the mouse cable is a pest always getting in the way, can he just buy a cordless mouse,or dose he have to buy a keyboard also,sorry if this is adaft question,but any advice about this and any pitfalls that he may incounter would be appreciated along with suggestion on which mouse/keyboard etc thanks

Diodorus Siculus 13:03 13 Dec 2004

It will depend on the connections on the back of the PC for mouse / keyboard. Generally speaking, there should be a couple of PS2 connectors - about the size of a 5p coin.

I don't know if Gateway had their own type - it is possible.

What happens when the mouse is detached from the keyboard (can it?)? You may be able to replace it with a USB mouse?

Diodorus Siculus 13:03 13 Dec 2004

I must remember to refresh... :-(

acein1 13:41 13 Dec 2004

thank you all for advice,i am a bit confused , yes he can disconect the mouse from the keyboard,but when he tried another mouse in the usb port on the back of the p/c it would not work,as far as i know there are NO ps/2 ports on the back of the p/c usb only

Stuartli 14:26 13 Dec 2004

Look for two round Din type sockets - one should be green and the other purple. The green one is for a mouse, whether corded type or via onnecting a transmitter for a wireless version.

Some motherboard have a differnt type of PS/2 connecter and you may require an adapter (a lead with a female socket of each to use either way) in which to fit the mouse receiver's lead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 3 review

Automatically create thousands of unique variations from one original design with this free…

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Comment utiliser WhatsApp sur son iPad ?