Copying Text from Excel to Works 9 Database

bartonside 14:49 20 Dec 2009

This is puzzzling. I have recently bought a new computer (I won't bother you with the compatability problems I have) which has Windows 7. It has Works 9 and all my old Works databases, spreadsheets and word documents have transferred succesfully. I receive regular updates to one Works database via an Excel spreadsheet and there has never been a problem transferring material across to the database. Now it refuses to copy from Excel to the database but will do it the other way round. All I get is, mysteriously, the word Picure in the chosen database cell. Any ideas?

bartonside 18:13 20 Dec 2009

Bumped

VoG II 18:19 20 Dec 2009

Try Edit > Paste Special.

bartonside 21:52 21 Dec 2009

Thank you for your suggestion b ut I can't quite see how this would work as you can't paste until you have copied and Works 9 doesn't a paste special. To repeat, copying works fine from Works to Excel but not the other way round.

jaraba 09:43 22 Dec 2009

Try saving the excel sheet as a works sheet and then copy it.
Or convert the lot to excel and just use that.

VoG II 18:00 22 Dec 2009

A bit of a pain but try

Copy from Excel

Paste into Notepad

Copy from Notepad

Paste into Works Database

bartonside 22:08 02 Jan 2010

I am re-starting this as I have been away over the Christmas period. Jaraba suggested saving the excel sheet as a works sheet - can't see a way to do this. Can't find notepad either! The crucial point is that I use the database to print address labels so the material I receive on excel sheets just HAS to be transferred to the Works dtabase. No matter what I try, I just get a cell containing the word Picture.

VoG II 14:20 03 Jan 2010

Notepad normally resides in All Programs > Accessories. If it isn't there, Start > Run, enter

notepad

and click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?