copying and reading e-mails from 98se to xp

leslito 10:30 25 Aug 2003

What is the best way to transfer my outlook express files to my new laptop? I intend to give away the old computer but want to save and use my e-mail folders straight away. If I copy the files to a CD-RW , the xp on the lap top cn't open them - or at least I can't tell it what to do!
I'm stuck!
Les

Piggy,Piggy 10:31 25 Aug 2003

Why not recreate the folders on Laptop and then email the emails to it

DieSse 10:39 25 Aug 2003

You need to copy the store folder (the one with all the email files in - inbox/outbox/etc) to your CD

The copy the folder onto your new system, and change the "read-Only" property, if it is set.

Then you can run Import from OE - and follow the wizard. When it asks you to browse to the store folder - you browse TO the folder containing the files, not into it.

Don't forgat your address book either - it's a .wab file - adn you can copy and import that too.

Or you could try this click here

leslito 10:40 25 Aug 2003

You mean forward the messages to myself? I had thought of that but was thinking it would take a long time/be relatively expensive. It has the advantage of being foolproof, though!
I just think there must be a dead obvious way of doing it, otherwise all these portable gadgets would not be able to communicate with each other.

leslito 10:46 25 Aug 2003

thanks PP and Diesse
I'll try these routes. The step of copying from the cd to the new system is probably the bit I was overlooking. I'll give it a go.

leslito 10:56 25 Aug 2003

Bingo!
Thanks for your help: pats on the back all round.
The copying bit did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Visual Trends 2018: This year’s must-know colour, design, branding & photography trends

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?