Copying dvd-r to dvd+r

Jonathan314159 12:19 02 Apr 2003

How easy is it to copy a dvd-r disc to dvd+r? ie is it as simple popping the dvd-r disc into one drive and copying to a dvd+r disc?

Paranoid Android 13:05 02 Apr 2003

Are we talking data or movies ? Copy protection could be an issue.

Most DVD+R drives will read DVD-R, but the converse is not true. (or have I got that the wrong way round ?).

Marvin

Jonathan314159 14:09 02 Apr 2003

It's just home movies that I have put onto DVD-r, so no copyright issues. I would like to think that dvd players will be able to read these for years to come, but if dvd+r is going to become the standard then at some point I might want to transfer them across.

If transferring them is difficult, then I'd be better off putting them onto dvd+r now.

I know you can buy drives that allow a choice of burning - or + r, but that doesn't really solve the problem. You still have to take a punt now as to which format to burn the disc to

stlucia 14:19 02 Apr 2003

I think you're worrying too much. So long as you can play them on your own machine(s), you needn't do anything now -- certainly not go to the expense of getting another burner just in case.

If some time in the future you find that -R or +R format is becoming less well supported, you can then make your decision about a new burner. Tranferring them will be simple so long as your old (as it will be then) or new burner is still able to read your DVD-Rs -- you can just copy the files to your HDD, then burn them again in whatever format is current at the time.

Jonathan314159 13:59 03 Apr 2003

Thanks for advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?