Copying data to DVD drive

Hamish I 18:43 11 Jan 2006

I have tried copying documents and Quicken data both to a DVD+R disk and a CD-RW disk, but get the message; "unable to access the disk in drive D. Please make sure thedrive is ready and the disk is not write-protected". What am I doing wrong? I'm using HP Home, and had thought I could use these disks where on my old computer I used floppies. It's obviously not as simple as that or as I had imagined!

Totally-braindead 18:46 11 Jan 2006

This might be a silly question but I presume you do have a CD writer or DVD writer on your computer and not a CD ROM or DVD ROM.

Smiler 18:50 11 Jan 2006

How are you copying these files.
What is HP home??

Smiler 18:53 11 Jan 2006

If your using windows XP drag and drop will not work with DVD's.
You need to use something like INCD from Nero to use a RW DVD or CD like a floppy

Hamish I 19:02 11 Jan 2006

Totally-braindead's pseudonym would be more appropriate for me. In reply to his/her question, which isn't at all silly, the answer is, I don't know. In answer to Smiler, HP was a slip of the pen, so to speak. I meant XP. I will try the Nero idea. Thank you to both.

Hamish I 23:08 11 Jan 2006

I've investigated Nero, and wonder if anyone knows of any freeware which would do the job.

Pamy 23:22 11 Jan 2006

Hamish I, there is no point in looking at Nero or any other sofware burning program if you do not have a DVD or CD burner. They usually tell you on the burner just above where the disk tray is. Come back with this answer.

Pamy

Biotech 23:39 11 Jan 2006

Is the autorun for the drives enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)