cooling fan

dblspace 23:57 30 Apr 2003

rather than cutting an access hole in the pc case
for another extra cooling fan I have toyed with the idea of putting it in line with the existing fan (tandem fashion).
I presume the added fans volume of air removal will have to be greater than pc fan.

deep in thought about it at the moment.

dblspace

User-312386 00:00 01 May 2003

do you not have an extra hole at the back of the case?

Most computers do

Belatucadrus 00:13 01 May 2003

I doubt it will work as you hope dblspace two fans in tandem may not improve output at all, I think that the throughput is likely to be a bit lower than the maximum of the faster of the two fans, as synchronising them is going to be difficult and the slower of the two isn't likely to contribute anything . If you don't want to cut the case up have a look at a drive bay fan click here. the airflow isn't that high at 6.36cfm, but on the asumption that you have a spare 5.25" drive bay it does away with the saw work.

John-259217 00:14 01 May 2003

Interesting idea, probably needs an aerodynamics engineer for a definitive answer. In the case of propeller driven aircraft extra thrust can be obtained with more blades leading to the extreme of two contra rotating props on the last piston engine fighters! Maybe you could experiment, you never know you could be onto something!

dblspace 00:15 01 May 2003

yes but I have put a little speaker in it.

dblspace

dblspace 00:36 01 May 2003

point taken about syncronising them,thats one of the problems on my mind,so what I did was to make it variable speed so I could speed it up if required.I must mention that my pc is not overheating.
I love doing anything like this.

dblspace

dblspace 00:48 01 May 2003

Thats an interesting point about about contra rotating props,I wonder if they make a fan which goes the reverse way,both mine go the same way it needs a fan with blades the opp way.
I thank you for that idea,should have thought of it myself as I worked at B A E before I retired.

dblspace

SGT BARNES 00:56 01 May 2003

i've tried doing it and it sounds like concorde taking off , the problem being that unless you get all the blades turning at exactly the same time then all you'll get is air resistance , try using a strobe light on it and you'll see how out of line the blades are (if you've got a strobe light of course)

dblspace 01:36 01 May 2003

Yep I have a strobe light.there could be a noise factor,the fans will have to run at the same speed and the blades in alternate spaces but as you say the noise factor could be unacceptable.

dblspace

dblspace 01:36 01 May 2003

Yep I have a strobe light.there could be a noise factor,the fans will have to run at the same speed and the blades in alternate spaces but as you say the noise factor could be unacceptable.

dblspace

dblspace 11:01 01 May 2003

Job shelved,as SGT BARNES said its too noisy by far.closing this thread now.

dblspace

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)