cooling cpu

SHED 15:17 09 Jul 2006

i have a 3.2 prescott cpu it runs at between 50c to 64c is this to hot or is it ok.The system is ok when i start but when it gets to warm the system slows down and sometimes freezes,when i mean slow i mean slow.any ideas on a very good cooler for this cpu cheers any one

andrew-196854 16:39 09 Jul 2006

may this might be of intrest click here

andrew-196854 16:42 09 Jul 2006

sorry that link not quite right click on it anyway on the left hand side click labs and at the bottom pentium 4 hsf fans i think its the artic colling one you might want to look at

Stuartli 16:48 09 Jul 2006

My Athlon XP 3200 has been reaching up to 67-68 degrees C in the recent hot weather (CPU fan set on minimum and occasionally speeded up to cool it down).

However, it's rated up to 85 degrees C so I've no worries; however the Bios is set to shut off the CPU if the temperature reaches 70 degrees C in case of emergency, such as fan failure.

DieSse 20:22 09 Jul 2006

This cooler is truly excellent Thermalright XP90 see click here which will run with your processor.

I run it with a slow 92mm fan (virtually silent) - so silent I recently found the fan failed, yet the cooler keeping the CPU below 50º - OK so it's only a Northwood 2.4GHZ - but it speaks volumes for the efficiency of a good heat-pipe cooler.

The XP120 is even larger, and presumably even more efficient.

Get the fan seperately and choose a variable speed model with 15dB noise or less.

It'll cost - but it'll work excellently.

PS Im in Spain and it's darned hot here too!!

DieSse 22:49 09 Jul 2006

PS - with a quietish, everyday case fan (80mm) fitted temporarily, the CPU is at the moment at 37º in an ambient temp of 27.6º - also excellent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?