Converting to NTFS from FAT32 on XP Pro

BlitZace 23:53 25 May 2003

I just partitioned my 200GB Hard-Drive using FAT32, and formatted it, then installed Windows XP Pro. I tried converting the Hard-Drive to NTFS when installing XP but it wouldn't seem to work. I also tried formatting the Hard-Drive as NTFS. This worked but it said that the Hard-Drive was 194GB but that only 130GB was free. So, I installed Windows XP Pro using FAT32 and it all seems to be working ok. With the Hard-drive registering as 187GB. The only thing is... everytime I try to convert the Hard-Drive into NTFS it tells me that "Converting FAT32 to NTFS is not available". I tried doing it within Command Prompt in Windows by typing "convert c: /fs:ntfs" and I keep getting the same error. At the moment I only have Windows XP Pro installed with no updates. I would like to know whether I am doing something wrong? Or whether there is another way to do it. I actually converted my friends Hard-Drive to NTFS earlier today with Windows XP Home and it worked fine. Any suggestions or any help would be much appreciated. - JT

woodchip 00:04 26 May 2003

Not familiar with XP but if you start with XPpro CD it should give you the opportunity to change to NTFS

Djohn 00:07 26 May 2003

In the command prompt window, type
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

If your hard drive is C then replace the D above with C

BlitZace 00:07 26 May 2003

It did. But everytime I tried it didn't work. I partitioned the drive as FAT32 then formatted. Booted up the Win XP Pro CD and tried to convert to NTFS. It wouldn't seem to work. So I tried to format the drive as NTFS. This worked, but it said that the drive was 194GM with 130GB free. Which I thought wasn't correct. Therefore I installed Win XP Pro with FAT32 and decided to convert to NTFS afterwards. But I keep getting the message that it couldn't be applied. That's my problem really. - JT

BlitZace 00:08 26 May 2003

It did. But everytime I tried it didn't work. I partitioned the drive as FAT32 then formatted. Booted up the Win XP Pro CD and tried to convert to NTFS. It wouldn't seem to work. So I tried to format the drive as NTFS. This worked, but it said that the drive was 194GB with 130GB free. Which I thought wasn't correct. Therefore I installed Win XP Pro with FAT32 and decided to convert to NTFS afterwards. But I keep getting the message that it couldn't be applied. That's my problem really. - JT

BlitZace 00:08 26 May 2003

Sorry about printing twice! My mistake =/

BlitZace 00:09 26 May 2003

Djohn - I have tried that. I said it above in my first post :)

Djohn 00:11 26 May 2003

I copied the above from win.XP Pro help section. If you click on help and in the search box type, Fat32 to ntfs, it will explain in full detail and tell you your options. J.

BlitZace 00:14 26 May 2003

Djohn - Thanks for that. Only thing I wanna know is why it's saying that I can't convert to NTFS from FAT32. This seems strange as I successfully did it earlier on an XP Home machine. All I have installed is Win XP Pro and nothing else. - JT

Djohn 00:22 26 May 2003

Sorry for the X post, think it was something to do with the messages not going through, so I had posted before seeing your reply.

Not sure about this, but think it's to do with the size of the drive not being correctly recognised, need to sort that first.

Could it be the BIOS not recognising the drive, or is there a part of the drive that has not been formatted? Someone will have the answer, so don't worry too much. Regards J.

powerless 00:25 26 May 2003

Install Windows XP Service Pack 1 - This will allow windows to correctly identify drive sizes over 137GB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?