Converting Audio Files to MP3 (Or other)

User-367759E1-9114-481F-B005EBD0DB666035 09:29 26 Feb 2003

Hi all,

I have a Sony Digital Voice recorder that produces files in "DVF" format (Digital Voice File). THese files may then be "Converted" using the Sony software to WAV files or MSV files (Which I think are another Sony Format).

If I convert to WAV and then try to convert to say an MP3 file in Nero Ahead MP3 Pro, I get the message that the Windows Media Player microsoft licence will not allow such conversion. (WMA files into any other format).

So, I have ended up with a load of WAV files that are about 90 odd MB and I need to "Shrink" them - the question is "How"?

Any ideas welcome such as can I convert with Windows Media Player (Version 9) to something such as MP3 or similar that will allow playback on a "Normal" CD player?

Also, any file conversion software that would allow conversions in "Batches" as doing each one separately will take ages!!

-pops- 09:32 26 Feb 2003

Someone posted a link to a load of MP3 converters last week, I think.

-pops- 09:33 26 Feb 2003

BTW I convert to MP3 using Creative Playcenter which, I think, comes with most Creative soundcards.

powerless 09:39 26 Feb 2003

You will have to use the WAV format then burn a file (that is a WAV file) that will allow the playback on a normal CD player.

MP3's will not play on a CD player, unless it allows playback of MP3's.

You do not need to convert to MP3.

Just use the software to convert the DVF files to WAV then burn it to a CD.

However if the CD player is capable of playback of a Mp3 then click here and click here for WAV to Mp3 encoders.

powerless 09:43 26 Feb 2003

encoders - decoder :-(

JoeC 09:45 26 Feb 2003

click here

and download the fichier and the mp3.reg files

This will give you MP3 burning capabilities in WMP : }

Not too bothered about not playing on "Normal" CD players, Mine can play MP3!

The first link is perfect and as I type I have my first batch of 16 files being converted (Which in WAV format amount to 1GB - so you can see why i wish to convert them!!)

Many thanks for the link(s)

powerless 18:13 26 Feb 2003

1Gig eh?

Thats alot of talking.

Thats just one folder - theres four folders!!

That is why I need to do this - the size of the files to start with are about 6Mb, the conversion to a half decent WAV file (128 Bit rate) creates a file of about 90 odd MB!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?