Control centre - Trojan horse?

Throbber 21:28 06 Jan 2010

I think I may have some kind of nasty virus - calls itself "Control Centre" and poses as an updater.
Is this a known threat? It got past my antivirus sotware and isproving very hard to shift - seems to disable anything it doesn't like, even Task Manager. I have managed to remove it from the Add/remove programmes list in Control Panel, but it's sill active and I can't use my PC.
XP Pro SP3.
Ayone know how to shift it?

jamesd1981 21:35 06 Jan 2010

you could try checking your processes for anything unusual, also try looking through your c drive - program files x86 for anything that shouldnt be there, have you tried iobit security 360 its very good at finding and removing trojans etc.

Sea Urchin 11:15 07 Jan 2010

Yes, it is a known rogue program - download Malwarebytes (free version) and update and then run it - removing everything it finds. Then run it again to make sure all is clear.

click here

Throbber 21:13 07 Jan 2010

Many thanks, guys. As usual with this forum - sound advice and a successful outcome. Malwarebytes seems to have fixed the problem. It also picked up over 100 bits & pieces of junk which had obviously slipped through my firewall and anti-virus programme.
Thanks again.

Sea Urchin 21:15 07 Jan 2010

Thanks for the feedback - and glad to hear it's sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?