Constant BSOD after cmos reset

elliotc374 23:24 30 Mar 2018

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having with my pc.

Basically I was having some minor issues with my pc, mainly random bluescreens, always with a random error message as well. Anyway I looked around for some answers and I read somewhere that someone recommended a cmos reset of my motherboard. I did this and now I can't get any further than the bios. As soon as it boots I get the BSOD with the message "system thread exception not handled." I have tried reinstalling windows with a flash drive and with my windows 10 cd but I just get the same blue screen after about 30 seconds. I have also tried a completely different hard drive and tried to reinstall windows 10 to that but yet again I still get the same BSOD after about 30 seconds.

I upgraded my gtx 970 to a 1080ti recently so I have tried putting the 970 back in but still the same. I have also tried taking out 1 stick of ram at a time to see if they were faulty, and also tried the ram in the channel B slots but made no difference.

Most solutions I have read up to now all involve safe mode or system restore etc but I can't even get to that stage to try these options without it crashing.

The only thing I presume could have happened is something has been reset in the bios when I did the cmos reset and that has now caused this issue but I have no idea what that could be. I'm not the best with computers at the best of time, especially when things go wrong so any help is welcome at this stage. Thanks

Pc specs are:

Gigabyte Aprus Z370 ultra gaming motherboard I7 8700k with corsair H100 cooler 16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz Gtx 1080ti (970 still installed ATM) 2tb hard drive

rdave13 00:41 31 Mar 2018

It could be the CMOS battery has died completely. Some motherboards rely on it to boot up Windows. Try replacing it.

elliotc374 15:26 31 Mar 2018

Hi, thanks for your reply. Just tried a new battery now and still getting the same results unfortunately. Could it be hardware related? It's weird how it only started after the reset. Thanks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

Say aloha to the summertime vibes of artist Kim Sielbeck

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)