Connecting SpeedTouch 330 to DLink D1-604

spuds 11:16 14 Mar 2007

I am probably asking the very obvious here, but my minds gone a blank as to the way of making the satisfactory connection for broadband.So apologies for sounding ignorant.

At present I am using a SpeedTouch 330 modem linked from the BT socket + filter, A second cable with a standard phone line rj11 plug (?) on one end and a usb plug on the other then connects to my usb socket on the computer.Everything is working fine for a one computer system.

I now want to link two computers together on a wired system using the SpeedTouch 330 and a DLink D1-604 Router. Ethernet cards will be fitted to both computers. What cables do I now require,and how should I fit these, as I now believe that the rj11/usb cable will no longer be required.

Should also mention that I have a Sagem [email protected] 800 E2T modem available, and would the same cable connection apply!.

mgmcc 08:50 15 Mar 2007

You cannot use a USB ADSL Modem in conjunction with a router, it needs to be replaced with a COMBINED "Router & ADSL Modem".

The D-Link DI-604 appears to be a stand-alone "Cable/DSL" router which is suitable for use with Cable broadband (NTL/Telewest/VirginMedia) but, unfortunately is the wrong type of router for use with ADSL via the phone line.

spuds 11:24 16 Mar 2007

As I stated my mind and thoughts were at a low ebb, should have realised that 'cable broadband' was the key factor. Your response as resolved the issue. Even the networking 'expert' at our local PCW didn't spot that! :O)

I will tick this as resolved, as I now have the correct requirements.Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?