Connecting Speakers

StevieB77 18:53 20 Apr 2003

Does anybody know if it is possible to connect speakers from a normal stereo system to a computer?
The connections for the speakers have 4 wires that connect to the back of a stereo player, is there some type of adapter that can be used to connect them to a computer?

spuds 19:06 20 Apr 2003

Maplin's click here have a good range of connecting devices.

StevieB77 19:40 20 Apr 2003

Thanks for that link.

They have got a pretty extensive list of products available. I’m still not sure what accessory is needed so I have sent an e-mail to their sales team for their advice.

slaveofconvention 19:49 20 Apr 2003

The output from your sound card is very low and is not enough to directly power speakers of any decent power level - it'd be like putting Hi-Fi speaker straight into a separates CD player - the amp is required.
Most commercially available PC speakers have an amp in the subwoofer - and are, as a result, connected to the mains in one form or another. Pretty much any amplifier will do the job, so you can shop around for the best deal. Alternatively, if you have a hifi with a spare input, you could just wire this to the soundcard output as long as you have a suitable cable, usually a 3.5mm stereo jackplug (identical to those on headphones) to a pair of phono jacks (look a little like tv aerial plugs but the centre pin is a little thicker and rounded, and the outer edge has gaps in it (kind of like you'd see on a castle tower). This kind of cable often comes free when you buy cd-walkmen etc (i got one free when i bought Nero 5.5)

Colin

StevieB77 19:57 20 Apr 2003

Thanks Colin,

The hifi doesn’t have a spare input so I will have to get the amp.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?