Connecting a Smart TV and A PC to one LAN line

olyman 16:21 18 Jan 2019

My PC is connected to my router in another room via a long Ethernet lead. I want to connect a smart TV to the same lead. If I add a 1>2 adapter to the lead will I be able to access the PC and the TV at the same time? The Wi-fi signal from the router to the room in question.

Alternatively would a mains Powerline link work when there is another Powerline connection on the same ring-main?

difarn 16:32 18 Jan 2019

You should be able to add extra Powerline plugs to those you already have. You can get two that have both ethernet and wifi capability.

Kevin Alders 17:02 18 Jan 2019
  olyman 19:50 18 Jan 2019

Thanks for the responses. The Powerline wouldn't be my first choice because of the lack of spare 3pin sockets so the second suggestion seems the way to go. I'd had in mind a simple hub but I hadn't appreciated the function of switched units. I still have a question. Presumably the multi LAN ports on my fairly new router are switched. I will be using the existing leads, one to a new switch LAN unit with a lead to the PC and another to the TV. The existing Powerline will remain connected direct to the router. Will there be any conflict between the router switching and the new switch hub which could affect thebandwidth distribution and speed optimisation?

BT 09:26 19 Jan 2019

Is your TV wireless enabled?

My Smart TV, Virgin V6 box, a Laptop, and tablet all connect wirelessly to my Router in a different room where my Desktop, another laptop and 2nd TIVO box are connected by cables and it all just seems to work.

difarn 13:08 19 Jan 2019

You can buy powerline adapters with pass-through sockets so you do not lose an existing one.

olyman 13:38 10 Feb 2019

Many apologies for not closing. I realised that the powerline set up which connected to my main TV was in the same room as the relocated router which had originally been in the same room as the PC. After checking that the main TV worked well on WiFi I just swapped the powerline socket to the other room to drive the second TV where WiFi was poor. No problem and utilising the pass-through socket I already had! I must stop assuming difficulties without thinking it through!! Many thanks for your responces which stirred my remaining brain cells into action.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique