Connecting Sky digi-box to a PC and a TV

frevg 11:24 10 Jul 2008

I am sorry, but I am a beginner in this as well as computers, but on my previous (Fredvg) I left off the heading. Please my Fredvg.

DieSse 12:14 10 Jul 2008

What kind of Sky box - Standard or HDTV?

For the PC you'll need somewhere to input the signal to. These are not normally fitted as standard - look to see if the system has some sort of video input/capture facility.

A normal graphics card is not enough.

frevg 13:35 10 Jul 2008

It's just a standard Sky box. On the PC, there are 2 blue connectors, I can connect the monitor to one, the other seems to be spare possibly for connection to a TV, a TV out, and a rectangular plug, I think it is labelled DVI but the last letter is very faint. There are of course the 3 blue green and pink plugs. Are they video in and out and sound out. Apart from the USB plugs, and the internet connection there is nothing else.
Many thanks for your interest.

frevg 13:38 10 Jul 2008

It's just a standard Sky box. On the PC, there are 2 blue connectors, I can connect the monitor to one, the other seems to be spare possibly for connection to a TV, a TV out, and a rectangular plug, I think it is labelled DVI but the last letter is very faint. There are of course the 3 blue green and pink plugs. Are they video in and out and sound out. Apart from the USB plugs, and the internet connection there is nothing else.
Many thanks for your interest. I forgot to mention that my TV is not a modern one and I connect the Sky box to via a scart lead

DieSse 14:37 10 Jul 2008

You don't appear to have a video in capability.

The blue/gree/pink trio are all for sound - pink in microphone in - green is speakers out - blue may be line-in or line-out - none of them are video..

The rectangular (ish) plug on the video card is DVI - that's an output for a digital interface monitor.

Easiest for the inexperienced to get TV picture in is via a USB adapter, like this

click here

Cheaper, but you need to go into the PC is

click here

With this make sure your PC has a PCI slot free, and not just PCIe slots.

You'll also need, with both of them, an adapter cable from the scart on the sky box to phono plugs on the devices.

frevg 15:31 10 Jul 2008

I have a Pinnacle PCTV Dual Sat Pro PCI.I bought it because some-one told me there was a TV out slot on the computer but no tuner. It has 2 Sky digi-box type connectors, but I haven't a clue how to connect them. You say that I will need a cable to connect digi-box scart to the'devices'.
Will the scart connect to one of these 2 connectors, and if so, I will need a cable with scart one end and a sky aerial connector at the other, and is this available. It does say on the box that with this you can receive digital TV by satellite on your PC, but I have no idea of the connections needed. I'm sure I can install the card in the PC, I put a USB card in another PC and this is possibly the same. I don't know what else I can tell you.

DieSse 16:54 10 Jul 2008

Your pinnacle card it actually a twin tuner digital satellite receiver.

You can connect it directly to a dish, and tune in programmes, just like a Sky box can. The twin tuners mean you can watch one prog on the PC and at the same time record another prog on the PC.

It can only receive free-to-air channels (ie BBC/ITV etc) - not channels that require a card in the Sky Digibox.

To connect it to the dish, you will need three cables in total - two to the PC and one to the Sky box.

You will also then need a quad (four) output LNB on the dish, to give you the three outputs you need.

Be aware that the PC will be able to pick up all the (free-ti-air) channels from the satellites, including all those on the new BBC/ITV Freesat service, as well as those on the Sky service.

frevg 19:08 10 Jul 2008

Well I think you have covered just about every-thing and thank you very much for your very speedy response. At the moment, I have only one LNB connected, but if it all works well I will get another LNB installed. Once again, thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?