Connecting remote keyboard, mouse, modem...

ennnceee 10:25 17 Aug 2019

...printer, monitor to new (to me) desktop tower.

I'm sure this is a silly question, but will all these need installation, per se, rather than just plugging?!

Thank you!

ennnceee 20:20 02 Oct 2019

I've been installing direct on to the USB, which is obviously wrong. It says 'create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC, so do I download it on to laptop, then run, then transfer/install on to USB?

ennnceee 20:21 02 Oct 2019

I've been installing direct on to the USB, which is obviously wrong. It says 'create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC, so do I download it on to laptop, then run, then transfer/install on to USB?

ennnceee 06:46 03 Oct 2019

Looking at the instructions again, confused now (can you guess?!). This is what I did:

Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.

This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you’ll choose:

Select which media you want to use:

USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

That's what I did, so that all the files, all the necessary parts, so to speak, are on the USB.

Secret-Squirrel 08:41 03 Oct 2019

Thanks very much for all the detailed info. You've definitely done everything correctly and I'm disappointed that nothing's worked for you. Sorry to see that you've wasted so much time on this :(

ennnceee 09:03 03 Oct 2019

Well, nothing ventured and all that. Your time and trouble, though, much appreciated. Will look at battery next day or two.

ennnceee 09:55 04 Oct 2019

Just tried the battery instructions, but hasn't made any difference. I presume that means it has died. I note they're quite cheap, so not too bad.

ennnceee 15:40 16 Oct 2019

Another silly question, probably, and although related to above, I wonder if I should have started another discussion.

Anyway, my printer was alongside the desktop and has just died (more good news), so another on the way. I'm thinking of replacing the desktop/tower setup with a good-sized laptop, for simplicity. As the Virgin Media modem was physically connected to the tower, would it need to be connected to the laptop in order for the printer to work wirelessly from other devices in the house, and is that connection possible? Indeed, is that physical connection (along with the VM cable input into the modem) how the signal reaches all parts of the house?

I hope that makes some sense! Thanks.

ennnceee 12:35 18 Oct 2019

Sorted now, thank you!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)