Connecting laptop to monitor from other pc

grumpy-git 14:07 29 Feb 2008

I have an Acer laptop running Vista & would like to be able to use the TFT monitor from my desktop pc for the purpose of editing photos.

So, a few questions. Firstly the connecting lead, is there any sort of adaptor lead or hub which will allow me to easily switch between pc & laptop. Secondly, are any drivers needed or are they loaded automatically?

Probably easy when you know how it's done....

g-g

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 29 Feb 2008

You need a KVM switch click here

example click here

grumpy-git 14:33 29 Feb 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat, I'm beginning to understand it now.

Your solution uses a single keyboard, mouse & monitor to control both machines, but is it possible, or easier, just to share a monitor - meaning I still use the keyboard of the laptop when using the laptop?

g-g

Pamy 15:42 29 Feb 2008

look here click here

grumpy-git 15:55 29 Feb 2008

Thanks Pamy, I was looking at that on the Belkin site earlier this afternoon. That is still operating the laptop via the desktop keyboard & mouse, which I was trying to avoid.

The desktop pc has a wireless keyboard & mouse, does that cause further complications if I did want to use a Switch2?

g-g

Pamy 16:45 29 Feb 2008

Q) I believe that I could use this box (Switch Box VDU 2 Way - VC46A) to switch 1 monitor between 2 computers (perhaps you'd be good enough to confirm this); but is there a switch that will switch one monitor, a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard board?
A)Yes, this would switch one monitor between two PCs. In order to switch the keyboard and mouse as well, you need a KVM (instead of, not as well as). Order codes such as - A84CZ or A68AW

Is this what you want, then look here click here

grumpy-git 17:44 29 Feb 2008

That looks like it might be the answer Pamy.

Wonder how much signal loss there is & how it exactly shows, do images appear lighter or darker on the screen - or what other effect might it have?

g-g

Pamy 17:50 29 Feb 2008

A case of suck it and see i think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?