connecting to the internet on windows 95

stuj77 13:33 10 Nov 2004

My mother purchased a computer form her work (which was closing down) a few months ago.

The computer is a very basic P2 with 64meg of ram and Windows 95, with a 6gig harddrive. Whilst this is not particularly high spec it is fine for what my mother would use it for.

I told her that she needed a modem to get on the net, and she bought as I instructed a serial modem (as a computer this old) beacuse the computer does not have the standard sockets to get on the internet.

I managed to get her on to the internet to and it was working however, time and time again it just keeps disconnecting itslef after about 5 mins. I have reset the internet options however it never seems to make any difference and it keeps disconnecting anyway.

Can anyone help
Thanks
stuj77

Diodorus Siculus 13:39 10 Nov 2004

Sounds like a problem with the modem drivers. Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer?

buscrew 14:12 10 Nov 2004

Is your e-mail programme set to check for new mail every 5 minutes, and to disconnect after sending and receiving?

TomJerry 14:40 10 Nov 2004

Talk from a costing point of view, there is no reason not to get broadband.

£19.99 for BOTH phone line rent and broadband from talktalk, also free weekend and evening local call. click here

If you do not want phone line: £17.99 from virgin click here

TomJerry 14:40 10 Nov 2004

if you want to stick with dial up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?