Connecting to internet with wi-fi laptop

hugeb 11:53 08 Feb 2004

I may be a bit dim (not) but when I bought a laptop last week and the guy in the shop says its got wi-fi I thought that it would be ideal as I work away from home and would like to be able to use it to down load and send e-mails etc.
My intention is to use the local Starbucks coffee shop as it is a 'hot spot'and I should be able to connect there.
1 - do I need to have a separate ISP account with someone?
2 - is there anything I need to do to enable the wi-fi or does it magically know what its doing? cos I certainly dont!!!

mgmcc 13:21 08 Feb 2004

<< 1 - do I need to have a separate ISP account with someone? >>

If you don't have a regular account with a Wi-Fi provider such as BT, you should just be able to buy the time you need at the hotspot - Starbucks, Hotels etc.

<< 2 - is there anything I need to do to enable the wi-fi or does it magically know what its doing? >>

There should be an icon for the Wi-Fi adapter, possibly either in the System Tray or Control Panel. Launching the Wi-Fi monitor will then let it search for any available Hotspots to connect to. Just connect to the network and enter the necessary authentication from the Wi-Fi provider.

nick_j007 13:35 08 Feb 2004

Excuse me butting in...how fast are these connections please? As fast as 512 Broadband? Faster that dial up though I assume.

Thank you,

Nick

mgmcc 21:23 08 Feb 2004

Nick,

BT OpenZone click here is described as "Wireless Broadband" so presumably runs on an 'ADSL' type network. Speeds should be comparable to a conventional broadband connection which, of course, is slower than 802.11b WiFi.

powerless 21:28 08 Feb 2004

b = 11Mbps

g = 54Mbps

Intel Centrinio is of the b standard and for internet will be fine...g is OTT

For moving large files over a network g would be more suited as its a faster standard.

Providing reception is excellent you can surf the net just the same as you would with using wires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?