Connecting to the internet with my E system PC

RajaJanjua 19:31 05 Jun 2018

The problem im facing is quite annoying. I have plugged a LAN wire in the back of my computer and the other side in the back of my wireless router. My computer tells me it is connected to the internet and speed is at 100mbps but everytime I open internet explorer it loads for 30 seconds and then tells me 'the page cannot be displayed'. I have recently rebooted the PC too. I've had this computer for over 12 years �brought it with me when I moved out of my dads house and it's just been in storage. I don't have the AOL CD that it once came with and it's still on windows XP and the internet explorer is pretty old. I take the PC out of storage every few months just to see if I can do something about it, but never do so help would be kindly and greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time reading this and I'm available for any questions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 05 Jun 2018

Most likely you need Internet explorer 8 IE 6 will no longer work and IE8 is the last version that will work on XP

download it on a mem stick using a working PC and transfer and install to your XP machine.

RajaJanjua 04:35 06 Jun 2018

Thank you for your reply! Where can I download IE 8 from? Back in the days download.com and later cnet.com were the place for such things.. now the smartest thing about me is my 'smartphone'. I don't even feel like a 90s kid. More like a 60s noob to computers (-_-)

Secret-Squirrel 08:55 06 Jun 2018

I open internet explorer it loads for 30 seconds and then tells me 'the page cannot be displayed'.

Perhaps the URL for your homepage is invalid. Click in the address bar and try to go to a different website such as Google dot com. If that doesn't help then I have a few other ideas including installing a recent version of the Firefox browser that's compatible with XP. It'll work a lot better than any of the elderly versions of Internet Explorer.

Ian in Northampton 14:18 06 Jun 2018

I hate to ask, but I'm going to anyway... You are signed up with an ISP, right? I'm just thinking: it worked at your dad's house, and now it doesn't. Not having an ISP would explain the problem. Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence.

Forum Editor 14:56 06 Jun 2018

"My computer tells me it is connected to the internet and speed is at 100mbps"

I agree with Secret-Squirrel - Firefox is worth a try. Opera also supports Windows XP.

MJS WARLORD 18:10 06 Jun 2018

all the answers given are correct , i use to have a vista pc and that could not use the latest version of IE so i changed to chrome and firefox.

As previously stated older browsers wont work on some websites.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?