Connecting to AOL without using their software

CurlyWhirly 22:17 26 Jun 2005

I am sure that someone posted an article on how to achieve this but I have lost the link so could anyone post a link on how to accomplish this as I have just found out that I can use Outlook Expres as my e-mail client in place of AOL's.

I *have* done a Google but the solutions I have found result in error messages like:

'Error 797. A connection to the remote computer could not be established due to the modem being busy or not found'

and also:

'Error 691. Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain'

I am using Windows XP Home with AOL 9 and a BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 12:55 29 Jun 2005

I haven't seen your name on here before but welcome ;0)

Your quote: "1. Open Network connections in CP. 2. Right click BT VOYAGER. 3. Click CONNECT. 4. Enter your AOL username ( [email protected] ) 5. Enter your password.

6. CONNECT."

Due to me messing around with my connections yesterday I now have 2 different connections displayed in Network connections and both result in error messages when trying to connect :0(

click here

They are called AOL and AOL (Dial-up) which I never used to have before!

The ONLY way I can get online is through the AOL software!

CurlyWhirly 13:00 29 Jun 2005

I will try out your way of doing things as in your 09:11 post but I don't really have that much time now as I am due to go to work shortly but I will try it out tonight when I come home.
Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 12:16 30 Jun 2005

My new connection is working great but unfortunately if I uninstall the AOL software, then there is NO way to access my account!

So I will have to keep it after all. Doh.

CurlyWhirly 00:34 01 Jul 2005

[quote]What do you mean "access my account"?

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I mean I can't get my billing info, AOL keywords and the livehelp service for example.

CurlyWhirly 22:19 01 Jul 2005

I do just that, keep the AOL software on my PC but most of the time connect to the internet by just using my modem drivers.
Best of both worlds!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7 Pro review

Explore unseen concept art from Isle of Dogs with Wes Anderson character designer Félicie Haymoz

iPhone XR 2019 release date, price & specs rumours

Comment faire une sauvegarde de son PC ?