connecting 2 pc's with crossover cable

kane_2002k 23:48 10 Apr 2003

Hi all

After a mishape into the world of networking using a router, i think it would be best to research the use of a crossover cable to share broadband on 2 PC's, i have several concerns,

1. Is it possible to share broadband in this way and is it safe to have an always on internet connection in this manner?

2. Would 50 feet of crossover cable be too long for the signal?

3. Is it possible to convert normal patch cable to crossover, if u have a crimping tool and rj45 plugs?

4. Will the performance on the 2 pc's be suffer negativly. Main pc (the one with broadband) used for online gaming, and the second pc used just for surfing the internet.

5. And lastly is this an inefficent way to share broadband bandwidth, i.e will the internet be alot slower compared with using a cheap £50 router?

P.S. i have dual lan in main Pc (motherboard is Asus A7n8x deluxe gold), is it ok to use one of the lan's for internet and the other for crossover cable?

Thanking you all in advance.

dinom 00:12 11 Apr 2003

1.you can share the connection with internet connection sharing.
2. that fine
3.re terminate one end to a cross
4. no
5. no
I assume you have rj45 broadband connection rather than rj11.on rj45 you need 2 nic in the host.Seecond machine must be set to dynamic ip

midnytephenix 00:13 11 Apr 2003

1. Yes it is possible to share your broadband access using a crossover cable. I would highly recommend running a firewall on both puters.

2. You could use a 50' cable though the longer the cable you will get signal degradation over it.

3. No you can't convert a regular cable to crossover as the connectors are the same the difference is in the cable.

4. You will lose some performance on the main puter, as you would also need to run the internet sharing program in win98, or if you have win xp, it will set it up automatically, cuz your main puter is proceesing the internet signals from both and acting as the router for the second one.

5. I think it is an inefficent way to share your broadband access, you would be better off getting a router, or even a hub to run your broadband through and hook both puters up to that. If you get a router or hub, run a firewall on both puters.

PS. If you're running that fast of a system for your main, and you online gaming isn't to graphics intense you could just run the crossover cable and not have any problems. Definitely run a firewall on your main if you do that...

LastChip 00:20 11 Apr 2003

1. Yes. (but use a Firewall)

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. There is a very slight performance hit, as both PC's will be effectively dividing the connection. However, on today's fast machines, it will be almost imperceptible.

5. A router may be marginally faster, but a lot depends on the routers capabilities and how it is configured.

P.S. I think you mean you have two Network interface Cards (NIC's), but the answer remains, Yes.

Offline 00:23 11 Apr 2003

I keep meaning to get around to buying a router, but because I have had no problems using two network cards & a bog standard Alcatel Frog I have had little incentive to do so (this was intended to be a tempory setup). It's worked well for a year and a half. I have Zone Alarm on both PC's along with Trojan & Anti-Virus software, the system is on 24/7. I'm sure there are gains to be made using a hub/router but don't expect these to be startling.

kane_2002k 02:45 11 Apr 2003

My main Pc is 2000xp, asus nforce 2 mobo, 256 DDR 2700 ram and an ATI radeon 9000 pro graphics card, online games (soldier of fortune 2, medal of honour mostly) would be played on it mainly when the second PC was off, (i.e. in the middle of the night.) Would this mean that there would be any performance hit at all in the games in regards to graphics and broadband bandwidth? if so is there an easy way to disable or tell windows not to share broadband bandwidth or use processing power when other PC is off??

I do currently have a router but it isn't working properly, (previous post 'network trouble'), It is a cheap belkin one from pc world and it does seem to have alot of problems as i have discovered in some other forums and review sites on the web. it also seems to have increased my 'ping' by from low 20's (cable modem plugged directly into NIC) to low 30's in games (this is when no other PC is attached to the router). Don't have any more money to spend on this stuff so can't afford a better router yet. Knowing this would i in ur views be any worse off using crosssover cable method then how it is now??

PS. seems to be confusion if a patch cable can be converted to crossover cable, i was under the belife that the only difference was in the arrangement of the wires in the RJ45 plugs??

DieSse 08:53 11 Apr 2003

Yes you can convert the cable - you are right the only difference is in the wiring. See here for wiring details.

click here

50 ft is no problem - the distance specification for cat5 wiring is 100 metres

DieSse 08:54 11 Apr 2003

PS - just to make it crystal clear - in a crossover cable - one end is standard - the other end is crossover - see link above.

kane_2002k 13:34 11 Apr 2003

'My main Pc is 2000xp, asus nforce 2 mobo, 256 DDR 2700 ram and an ATI radeon 9000 pro graphics card, online games (soldier of fortune 2, medal of honour mostly) would be played on it mainly when the second PC was off, (i.e. in the middle of the night.) Would this mean that there would be any performance hit at all in the games in regards to graphics and broadband bandwidth? (does windwos xp automatically stop sharing the bandwidth?). If not is there an easy way to disable or tell windows not to share broadband bandwidth or use processing power when other PC is off??'

Anyone able that can help with this??

PS. thanks again to everyone that has helped so far.

kane_2002k 18:55 11 Apr 2003

anyone able to answer the above question?? urgent!

kane_2002k 01:52 12 Apr 2003

'My main Pc is 2000xp, asus nforce 2 mobo, 256 DDR 2700 ram and an ATI radeon 9000 pro graphics card, online games (soldier of fortune 2, medal of honour mostly) would be played on it mainly when the second PC was off, (i.e. in the middle of the night.) Would this mean that there would be any performance hit at all in the games in regards to graphics and broadband bandwidth? (does windwos xp automatically stop sharing the bandwidth?). If not is there an easy way to disable or tell windows not to share broadband bandwidth or use processing power when other PC is off??'

Anyone able that can help with this??

PS. thanks again to everyone that has helped so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?