Connect USB-C monitor with USB 3 PC

Bp0416 10:38 01 Apr 2017

Hi,

I have the Asus MB169C+ Portable Monitor which I use regularly with my MacBook. The power delivery also runs through the cable.

I have an windows laptop I want to connect to the monitor to. The laptop only has USB 3 ports. I tried a USB-C to USB-3 cable but whilst the monitor powered up, no picture appeared and windows told me the USB had malfunctioned.

I then purchased a USB-C to DVI connector cable to connect the monitor to a powered USB hub I have for the laptop. But the monitor wouldn't switch on - I assume that the cable didn't push any power through.

Does anybody know whether there is a solution to have the monitor work with the old laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Secret-Squirrel 16:18 01 Apr 2017

Your laptop and its USB3 port don't support "DisplayPort active mode" and neither is it capable of supplying enough power, so sorry to disappoint you, but I can't see how you're going to get that Windows laptop to work with your portable monitor :(

Bp0416 16:42 01 Apr 2017

Hi - thanks for the response! Is there any USB hub I could be that does support "DisplayPort active mode" that I could plug into the laptop? (It's a Lenovo Thinkpad T450).

Thanks!

Secret-Squirrel 19:56 01 Apr 2017

I don't think such a device exists at the moment. USB C is still in its infancy so I expect one will turn up one day.

I did have a good look earlier for a converter that would suit your requirements. I even looked for a DisplayPort-to-USB-C but couldn't find one either :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?