Connect two computers together

  al1234 19:09 22 Jul 2003

Please help I have NTL broadband 600k, which comes through my TV set top box. I?ve have just got another computer and I would like to connect these two computers together to use the same broadband connection, does anybody know what cables and cards I will need, both computers are running Windows XP and I have a Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC network card in one computer only?

Many thanks

  Bebee 19:30 22 Jul 2003

Hi al1234

Depends exactly what you want and how much you want to spend. For simple and cheap you need another NIC and a crossover cable and you'll be able to run Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Which connection does the computer with internet use from the set top box? (I have an NTL modem) - does it use the NIC or USB?

  Tim1964 19:31 22 Jul 2003

You will need a NIC card in both PCs and a crossover cable to connect them together.

If you don't want to have to leave the PC that is connected to the net on permenantly, then you will need to use a router as well.

Unless you are using a USB connection to the STB then you will in fact need 2 cards in the 'main' PC.

Hope that helps.

  al1234 13:56 23 Jul 2003

I?m using and Ehernet connection to install NTL broadband with a Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC through my Set top box, it has been suggested to buy another NIC NETWORK CARD to fit into the second computer PCI slot, with the crossover cable from one to the other computer, will this work, also what type of network card will I need for the broadband 600k to get fast downloads speeds?

  medicine hat 14:04 23 Jul 2003

Do you want both computers in the same room? If not, why not try wireless networking? It may be slightly more pricey than wiring them together but it is very convenient

  al1234 14:15 23 Jul 2003

The computers are next to each other in the same room, I can?t afford to spend too much money on this.

  Gaz W 14:43 23 Jul 2003

Network cards are very cheap now. This depends on where you live, but Scan of Bolton (click here) have a very cheap Realtek one (10/100Mbps) at £3.82. I went there and got three of them, because ordering online the postage and packaging makes it about £12! You should be able to find one for about £5 elsewhere, or maybe cheaper.

If you are using ICS as mentioned above you'll need two network cards in the main PC and one in the other, plus some crossover cable to link the two computers together using the main PC's other network card for the LAN. ICS isn't too hard to set up, and I am using it right now.

  al1234 07:34 28 Jul 2003

I have now inserted the two RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC network cards in the PCI slots and connected the crossover cable into them one in each computer, having just run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, the 600k NTL broadband works really well on both PCs but I cant share any information from one computer to the other by dropping and dragging into Shared Documents, in other places, and also the Setup Wizard did not pick up my printer, my system is Windows XP on both PCs

  Tim1964 23:22 28 Jul 2003


It might be worth a try starting a new thread concerning the file sharing probs.

That way it will be bounced back up for the XP experts to have a look.

Good luck.

  jazzypop 23:27 28 Jul 2003

Go to Printers & Faxes, right-click your printer and choose Sharing.

Open Windows Explorer, do the same for a folder on each PC that you want to be shared.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review: Hands-on

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?