confused about cables

  Peterkins777 16:54 17 Feb 2008

Hi, I still have an old CRT monitor which gives me a great picture (will update later) I am going to buy a graphics card and am confused about the connections. Can I connect my old CRT monitor to a graphics card and do I need any adapters. Peter

  FreeCell 17:25 17 Feb 2008

If the graphics card has a vga output then you should be fine. The vga socket is like a flat D with 15 pins.

High spec graphics cards will have a DVI socket (many have both). This is a white oblong socket and to get any benefit from it your display needs a DVI input. Older CRTs don't have these.
Hope that helps

  Peterkins777 17:45 17 Feb 2008

Hi, Man thanks for the reply, that's just about what I thought Peter

  Joe R 20:14 17 Feb 2008


most graphics cards today come with a Dvi connection, but almost all come with a Dvi to D-sub adapter.

You will not have any problems with a new card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?