Computer won't find either disk drive

prycey 01:54 16 Apr 2006

I am running Windows XP and for some reason my computer won't recognise my DVD-Rom drive (F:) or DVD Burner (E:) drive

When I put in a disk it won't run, and I cannot see either drive in My Computer.

I am not sure when this first started happening because I don't use this conmputer often.

Help! :(

007al 02:02 16 Apr 2006

Check the connections on motherboard and drive.Does the drive show in BIOS?

prycey 02:05 16 Apr 2006

How would I do that... and what's BIOS?

Sorry, computer illiterate here :/

007al 02:16 16 Apr 2006

To check connections,turn pc off at mains-open the case and make sure the leads are pushed all the way in on drive and motherboard.
To check BIOS-tap Delete button when the pc is booting.There are different settings in there,but you should have a list of connected drives on IDE.check that the drive is listed

Rose 08:50 16 Apr 2006

If after checking that all your cables are properly connected, your PC still cannot detect your optical drives there is a registry patch that you can download from click here Go to point 8 and follow the link to download the patch. Works perfectly, I hit the same problem as yourself the other day and after installing this patch all is now well.

prycey 18:02 16 Apr 2006

well I've tried fiddling with the wires and I tried my BIOS settings, and nothing shows up apart from my hard drive. in the BIOS

ahhhh :/

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 16 Apr 2006

Check in BIOS that all primary and secondary drives are se to Auto

Also check that both primary and secondary IDE channels are enabled

sidecar sid 19:20 16 Apr 2006
  prycey 18:24 18 Apr 2006

thanks guys.

I've tried all of the above and nothing seems to be working. On the link sidecar suggested I don't even have any "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters" in my registry

Ray5776 21:49 18 Apr 2006

OK go to Control Panel/System/hardware/Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click and uninstal "Primary IDE chanel" and "Secondary IDE chanel"

Reboot and see if this works, if not probably cable or connection fault.
ray

prycey 17:12 21 Apr 2006

d'oh, no luck. i switched that wide grey cable from my other computer into this one, but it's still not working. anything else i can check?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?