Computer for university studies

AmeliaH2001 22:18 07 Oct 2019

Hi, I’ve just started university, I’m doing Adult Nursing and I’m looking at getting a laptop for my studies. I have an iPad Pro but I just don’t feel like it’s as good as a laptop when it comes too doing assignments. I’ll only really be using it to do assignments and everyday use and other activities they set for us. I don’t have the first clue about laptops though so I was just wondering what laptops people would recommend that’s reasonably priced. Thanks in advance. X

wee eddie 22:57 07 Oct 2019

The first thing to do is to contact the College and ask for the "minimum" Specification needed for any Projects they are likely to set you.

Then you can start looking

AmeliaH2001 09:19 09 Oct 2019

Thank you Wee Eddie.

wee eddie 09:42 09 Oct 2019

What I would suggest: Get a keyboard for the iPad, an External Hard Drive, to Back-up your Work, and an Insurance Policy, just in case someone decides to "liberate" it.

Secret-Squirrel 12:33 09 Oct 2019

........I was just wondering what laptops people would recommend that’s reasonably priced.

I can help with that but first you'll need to answer some questions:

1) Do you plan on saving lots of photos and videos and other large files on it?

2) What size screen do you need or are you not bothered? 13, 14 and 15.6 inch models are the most popular.

3) Do you want something that's relatively fast or are you happy to accept something that's quite sluggish?

4) Confirm that you're looking for a Windows laptop.

4) What's your budget and what country are you in?

By the way, for a nursing course your requirements are very modest so virtually any laptop will be up to the job so there's no point in asking your university for "the "minimum" Specification needed". If you were studying computer-aided design or some maths and physics courses then it would be a different story.

grumpy old man 13:06 09 Oct 2019

The latest generation of android tables have sockets to clip a keyboard onto , I don't know if you can do this on an ipad.

A friend of mines son went to Manchester uni and he threw the towel in and quit , this was because part way through the course his laptop was hit by a hacker and he lost everything then a few months later his laptop was stolen. I am not trying to scare you but I would recommend you get a pen drive sometimes also called usb memory sticks , then on a regular basic back up all important documents etc just in case the laptop breaks or gets stolen , you can get some usb memory sticks that have a keyring tag on them to make them harder to loose.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)