Computer too slow to start up and use

StephenD1 21:36 09 May 2019

So my computer has been working fine for years, even today it's specs still hold up. All of a sudden last week I turn it on, it took a while to start up but once I'm onto my desktop the computer will freeze and lag to the point where it is completely unusable. I'm not sure if this is a virus or some other problem. Only once during the 100 times I've tried turning it on this week was the computer useable. I ran an antivirus and it found nothing, The next day I started the computer and the same stuff happens. The computer still has plenty of storage left. Do you guys have any suggestions what to try? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 09 May 2019

had a recent update?

StephenD1 22:26 09 May 2019

Not in the last month or 2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:11 10 May 2019

Try running a disk check and / or a memory test

KEITH 1955 17:17 10 May 2019

have you un-installed any software , if so look in start up menu for an entry that could be for a program you no longer have , left over entries cause windows to hang a long time because it will be looking to start a program you don't have.

Have you tried using antimalware bytes.

Have you used malwarebytes before. The reason I ask this is because you may not be fully aware of how Malwarebytes works. Infections of any kind can be made up of many segments , if you clicked on anything it found before quarantining and deleting you might have seen it say something like joe bloggs pup 5 , this means that joe bloggs pup is made up of 5 segments. This is the important bit.... Malwarebytes is one of the best programs around but it cant always get rid of all segments of something on the first scan/quarantine/delete. You must do repeated scans till it finds nothing. Also try adwcleaner by the same company Finally , have you been doing any downloading you could have got something you don't know about if you did not scroll down the terms and conditions , its an old trick , companies know people are lazy ( no offence ) so if you had gone to the end of terms and conditions you might have seen some boxes to UNTICK so that you don't get say another browser or a free trial anti virus. Study your browsers for add ins and extensions you don't recognise and also look in add/remove for items you don't recognise.

x13 19:01 10 May 2019

Not having a Windows update for two months could be the problem. Try booting up and once after the splash screen loads press and hold the power button to shutdown. Do it about three times. Either a 'stuck' update will start installing or you can get to the troubleshooting screen. See if you can get to safe mode and if it is the same run chkdsk if you can.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Chiara Luber brings vintage postcards to life in her summery ode to Hepburn and romance

Powerbeats Pro review

Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 4 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique