Computer suddenly shuts off HELP

RobinOcchiodori 17:33 21 Jan 2017

Hi, my Name is Robin and well my Computer abruptly shuts down. Now I know it happens when i play game but im not sure if it only happens then. When I play it suddenly shuts down with no warning, goes black screen and after its shut down it starts up as soon as possible again. Why is this.. I need help

MJS WARLORD 17:50 21 Jan 2017

you say it happens during games try lowering some of your settings you could be asking too much of your g card , do you hear the fans go faster during a game if so your card is struggling.

RobinOcchiodori 17:54 21 Jan 2017

Ive had this Computer for almost a year an its never happened before, but ill give it a try. Thanks

Jollyjohn 17:55 21 Jan 2017

Classic symptom of overheating.

Look in Event Viewer once rebooted. If no obvious causes in Event Viewer then points to overheating. Clear vents, ensure good airflow around case and check all fans are spinning, including the one inside power supply.

RobinOcchiodori 17:56 21 Jan 2017

What is event viewer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 21 Jan 2017
  MJS WARLORD 00:26 22 Jan 2017

hi robin somebody told you to clean components , I presume your in England so try this , get a can of air ( serious ) from maplins its actually called air duster , I used them , it is high pressure air in a can , WARNING , don't spray it for long as the chemical reaction in the can will burn your finger as you hold the can , also , DONT turn the can sideways or the propellant will spray out and soak your componants , if you need futher help I will check this posting.

wee eddie 02:35 22 Jan 2017

If you visit YouTube you will find plenty of clips showing you how to clean out the dust from the between the fins of the heat exchangers

Secret-Squirrel 09:44 22 Jan 2017

...........after its shut down it starts up as soon as possible again.

That's not a classic symptom of overheating. An overheated computer shuts down and stays off (to allow the components to cool down). If you are ever concerned about overheating then use a temperature monitoring utility such as HWmonitor to confirm the problem before faffing around with air dusters etc.

Your computer may have saved a crash-dump file prior to restarting so have a look in your C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Let me know if you see some files there and their timestamps coincide with the restarts you've been experiencing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?