Computer shutdown after changing CPU

baucis 14:50 15 May 2006

Intending to upgrade from W98SE to XP on a computer which gets little use I decided to change the CPU for a better one which I have. After changing the Athlon A1200AMS3C for an AX 1600DMT3C in a Chaintech motherboard which supports both products the machine boots up OK but shuts down after about 3 minutes. Both power on and hard drive LEDs remain on but nothing appears to be running. And the machine can only be turned off at the plug. I used thermal paste between the heatsink and the chip so I am inclined to think the problem is not temperature related. Come to think about it, the BIOS was reporting a chip temperature of 47°C after three minutes. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Gongoozler 16:51 15 May 2006

Although the BIOS suggests that there isn't a temperature problem, I still suspect that there is. Try downloading and installing MBM5 click here so that you can monitor the temperature while the processor is doing real work.
Also - you said that you used thermal paste between the chip and the heatsink, which is a good thing to do, but did you make sure that the surfaces were ABSOLUTELY clean befor you did so. I once burnt out a Duron by leaving a speck of dried out compound on it when I fitted a new heatsink.

baucis 14:56 22 May 2006

Matter resolved, was caused either by carelessness or bad eyesight! Or a combination.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?