Computer Seems to be tripping the power at home?

RobCharles1981 10:33 05 Oct 2018

Hey All I'm wondering if you can help me with this odd problem here?

My Computer Specs are very decent

I5 750, 4 Gig Of Ram, R90 Graphics and a Corsair 650 watt PSU. Win 7 64 bit

Now a few days ago I'm experiencing an issue when I goto shut down my computer for the night as you do in Windows 7, once my Computer has officially shut down, I switch it off at the mains which for some or know reason has started to trip the electric in my house! And I'm also using a surge protector too, so I have to pop downstairs to reset the power trip and all seems well.

Then unknown to me when I'm asleep the electric will go off!!! So my Dad has to go down in the middle of the night to reset the power again!

Which is driving us around the bend!

I've added nothing of interest to my computer, except very recently replaced my Computer Speakers with Logitech Z533 Performance Speakers

Now my folks Claim that I'm "Shutting down my Computer too soon" which is false the computer is officially off when the tower shuts down.

Any Electrical experts know what is going on here?

Thanks for any input

Rob

wee eddie 10:59 05 Oct 2018

Unplug the Computer and all its stuff, every night. If the problem still occurs, it's not your computer.

If it stops, plug your Computer back in. If it starts again. Something in your setup is at fault.

A frequent cause for these occurrences is a faulty earth somewhere in the house.

RobCharles1981 11:09 05 Oct 2018

Thank's Wee Eddie

Will look into it.

Further more we tried for example a hoover into where my computer is plugged in and nothing tripped there!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 05 Oct 2018

Try it without the surge protector.

MJS WARLORD 18:41 12 Oct 2018

take the backs of all the plugs on your set up and look to see if the screws holding the wires have come loose , don't ask me how they come loose all I know is that they do , also turn the mains off and remove the wall socket you are using and check wires and screws.

you can get a mains fault checker for about £7 pounds and the sequence of lights you get when you plug it into a wall socket will give you a clue to what might be wrong.

RobCharles1981 20:27 17 Oct 2018

Thanks all for your suggestions its much appreciated. I will keep these in mind for the future. The problem appears to have stopped now so will keep an eye on things. Cheers Rob

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)