Computer screen keeps going off and is crashing PC

Peter C 11:32 08 Feb 2005

Hiya, you will have to bare with me as Im female and I dont know much about computers! For the past 2 weeks all of the time whilst using our PC the screen goes blank as if switching itself off and then comes back on again. Sometimes it crashes the PC and I have to switch it off to restart cuz nothing works. I have run Ad-Aware and Norton and I know I dont have any viruses. Anyone got any ideas to what I can do next? Is it something to do with the Display or anything? Help Im lost.
Im using Windows XP.
Thankyou!

sicknote 11:57 08 Feb 2005

What happens to monitor lights do they out or go to orange/standby,More info on your PC please ,Make,model,monitor,etc would help !!

Peter C 12:01 08 Feb 2005

Sorry if I was a bit vague. The monitor light goes to orange stand-by. The PC is a Packard Bell and the monitor is the Packard Bell 15" flat screen, errr does that help? So sorry for being a plonker but I dont know much!

sicknote 13:46 08 Feb 2005

Have you model number of Packard bell

ACOLYTE 13:56 08 Feb 2005

Just a guess but it may be your graffix card is faulty or overheating.

Sethhaniel 13:57 08 Feb 2005

try right clicking on open area of the desktop
select properties - then screen saver - in energy saving section click on 'Power' see what settings are there for 'Turn of Monitor' 'Turn of Hard Disk' and 'System Standby' - and adjust accordingly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?