Computer problem- no signal on moniter

MemeGuru 23:10 07 Feb 2018

Hello,

I've recently had some very unexpected problems with my PC.

A couple of days ago I came home and used my PC as normal for an hour or so. I then put it to sleep while I had to do other things, came back later that night and tried to wake it back up from sleep but the monitor kept on switching between the analog and digital channels for its source, and never found the source.

Bearing in mind that the tower seemed to be working perfectly as all the LED lights and fans were working just as they were a few hours prior.

Apon further investigation I have found that changing the ports on my gpu had no effect and the moniter still couldn't get a signal. Also I have found that the wifi adaptor I have plugged in is NOT lit up, leading me to believe that the power supply I have isn't enough. However the cpu and fan seem to be functioning fine. There is no beeping from the motherboard to indicate that any components are broken, but yet still nothing.

Specs: AMD FX-6300 Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Ballistix sport 2x 4gb ddr3 1x 8gb 1tb segate barracuda HDD 3tb western digital HDD Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 390X Evga 500w 80+ white rated psu

Any help appreciated

Note: recently bought a htc vive and hooked that up but that has been working perfectly for about a month before this happend

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:21 07 Feb 2018

Assuming monitor and lead is OK then its looking like a gpu problem.

DO you have on board graphics you can connect the monitor to?

If so check the drivers are OK in device manager.

Also worth trying a removal and refit of the graphics card.

MemeGuru 23:27 07 Feb 2018

No, sadly there's no onboard graphics to try, I've swapped the cord around and still the same problem. Tried a full breakdown and refit of all components and still no luck. Had a look and the gpu seems to be on as the fans are pulseing on and off While the computer is on

alanrwood 11:48 08 Feb 2018

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by the GPU fans are pulsing on and off. Is it a regular pulse for example. If so it could possibly be a power supply problem. Does the GPU require a second plug in supply from a separate cable from the PSU.

If I were you I would try and borrow a power supply from a mate and see if it then works OK.

MemeGuru 13:20 08 Feb 2018

Yea it's something like 1 second powered up then 2 seconds not powered, once it comes to a stop it then has another small burst of power. Just seems a bit odd for it to be working perfectly fine and then suddenly break while it wasn't even being used

alanrwood 14:32 08 Feb 2018

That is symptomatic of a motherboard which starts to boot, fails, shuts down and then tries to reboot. ie a boot loop.

Do you have a linux boot CD/DVD to try. This might help to decide if it is a software or hardware problem.

Can you get into the BIOS at boot or is it too fast to shut down.

MemeGuru 19:28 09 Feb 2018

UPDATE: tried with a brand new and more powerfu PSU and still no change

I can't get into the bios as there is never any signal to the moniter at all.

Perhaps I should clarify that all the fans in the system are working and so is the cpu as the cpu cooler is warm to the touch.

I've also noticed that neither the keyboard or mouse I have connected are lighting up as they should when the computer boots. This is leading me to think that it is a motherboard issue that means it still working enough to get power to most things like the cpu and fans but not my gpu or wifi adaptor that also seems to not be getting any power as it's LED is not turning on

Bris 19:45 09 Feb 2018

If your graphics card has a separate 12 volt connector make sure its properly connected. It sound as though there is insufficient power to your graphics card and it could be trying to draw power from the bus. This is borne out by the fact that other devices connected to the bus are not powering up.

Paul Hearn 20:02 09 Feb 2018

everything else seems to be working, tried everything, today noticed a line of 5 caps beside cpu fins

wth pops all ? 1]: [click here

Paul Hearn 20:06 09 Feb 2018

please help... did i ask or provide ??.. idk howto proceed.. :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 01:11 10 Feb 2018

If those capacitors are blown then either replace them (not easy unless you are extremely good at soldering ) or a new graphics card is needed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple