computer powers down after four minutes

User-EB474204-83EA-4CBE-9E3A2F68BC0F6B67 19:51 30 Mar 2005

computer powers up select safe mode then after four minutes powers down, try to start again will not power up, leave for 4 hours it will power up with the same result again. have tried another power supply disconnected all drives reseated operating chip, any ideals.

patbry33

Taff36 20:03 30 Mar 2005

Give us the operating system (XP, Win 98) and the basics of your system. Then we can help you.

tinny76 20:16 30 Mar 2005

i had similar prob, luckily i could rule out hardware by cloning disk and sticking in another machine, the prob followed this. So clearly it was the operating system in this instance. Did a format and reload and it never happened again. Dont know what it was.

Could be CPU or Motherbird, try and rule these out. Also had again a similar prob, the pc turned not to be shutting down but the vga was gubbed and there was no dispay and so it seemed initially to just switch off.

Jak_1 22:10 30 Mar 2005

Does it power down then off or just die? Having to wait so long indicates that something is overheating, CPU,Graphics Card,PSU.. This happend with my old Packard Bell 1Gig Athlon. A conveniently placed case fan sorted out the problem, short term I I took off the side panel and had a desk fan blowing on the inner workings.

Jak_1 22:10 30 Mar 2005

Does it power down then off or just die? Having to wait so long indicates that something is overheating, CPU,Graphics Card,PSU.. This happend with my old Packard Bell 1Gig Athlon. A conveniently placed case fan sorted out the problem, short term I took off the side panel and had a desk fan blowing on the inner workings.

On an Asus motherboard I think you can disable the overheat protection in the BIOS setup. Might be the same for yours. If it is not a genuine overheat it should carry on working. PC should not be able to develop that much heat that quickly. FIRSTLY I suggest you open the case and make sure the cpu cooling fan is working/not clogged with dust.

Paranoid Android 00:50 31 Mar 2005

Certainly sounds like a thermal cutout.

If the cooler is not mounted correctly or is misaligned, or if the fan is faulty, it could cause overheating in a few minutes for sure. A processor with no cooler can bun out in less than a second. So my advice would be to take this very seriously and double check everything.

I certainly wouldn't disable any overheat protection options until I know the exact cause.

Marvin

harman 04:40 31 Mar 2005

Is it can be caused by virus?

Paranoid Android 08:43 31 Mar 2005

Unlikely in this case I think.

Marv.

Appologies for earlier post regarding disabling o/heat protection. Was based on my computer which maintains constant temp unless huge demands i.e. ripping/graphics called for. Please disregard.

Nick

Prophet868 13:51 31 Mar 2005

Patbry, i had a similar prob when i was fixing a computer for my best friend. I knew it wan't the processor as it worked in my computer. I changed it with about three different power supplies, with still the same problem, even though i knew they weren't dead power supplies. Whilst thinking of what other problems it could be I decided to clean out the whole computer of dust as best I could and then phone another friend who i used to work with and ask his opinion. After cleaning it of dust, as best i could, it worked fine. I tried it later and kept trying it to see if would produce the shutting down again. I couldn't so I then said to my friend if it happens again just give it back to me. It never happened again
Perhaps it just needs a clean out of dust ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?