computer not starting

honey123 18:31 20 Jun 2006

My niece turnt the computer on on the light just flashed red and would not turn on. I s this time to ge new tower or is there an easy answer

rodriguez 00:48 21 Jun 2006

Just check these things first:

Any lights on the front of the tower?
Any fans going round?
Any beeps?

There should be 2 lights on the front - one for power the other for the hard drive. The power light should be permenantly on and there's another one for the hard drive. The hard drive light is usually red or orange and flashes when something's loading, so I'm wondering if this is the red light you meant in your first post. The power light is usually green but depending on your tower it may be a different colour. If it's a black tower the light may be blue.

If you can hear the fans and there is one beep and the hard drive light starts to flash, it means it's loading up Windows as normal and the monitor has either come unplugged or there is a problem with the graphics. If there are no fans going round it could be the power supply (the bit with the fan and where the power cable plugs in) and these are quite cheap to replace. If the fans go round and there are no beeps then nothing is loading and it could be the motherboard and it might need replacing. Either way you can change these bits yourself or if you don't feel confident in doing it, you can take it into a shop and they'll do it. Remember a computer never dies, you can always change the parts that are inside it ;-)

honey123 17:47 21 Jun 2006

the screen is saying no signal,
and we tried all the unplugging and it still we not work, how do i know if it is the mother board and how do i change it

woodchip 18:43 21 Jun 2006

First thing to check is a spare PSU

honey123 18:46 21 Jun 2006

what is a psu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 21 Jun 2006

PSU TEST
click here
click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

woodchip 19:00 21 Jun 2006

Power Supply top back of the Computer Tower held in place with four screws round the fan at the back. It's what all the Power cables com from to connect to motherboard and drives etc the only place thart230volts is, is in the PSU box no need to open that. The cables coming out of the box have a maximum of 12dc Volts but there are 3.3volt and 5 volt all the plugs can only fix one way and they are or can be disconnected one at a time and swapped with the spare PSU just put in the bottom of the comp to try it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?