Computer keeps "freezing"

tom-pom 14:23 10 Feb 2003

My computer is more and more frequently becoming a pest!!
It "freezes" upto 6 times a day whilst doing different things both on and off the internet.There is no set pattern and the only way I can get out of it is pressing Ctrl,Alt,Del 3 times.
I have tried running disk scan and even that won't complete it keeps jumping back to the beginning!!!
I am getting to the end of my tether and welcome any advice.
Thank You

Dr. Charles 14:27 10 Feb 2003

Run system file checker maybe and have you updated your IE6 and a patch in windows 98(you don`t say what version of windows you are using or your setup).

This is very recent. Go to the update site and then come back and let us know how you get on. Whilst you are on the MS site check for any more "Critical Updates " you might be short of.

Regards,

Charles

Dr. Charles 14:27 10 Feb 2003

Run system file checker maybe and have you updated your IE6 and a patch in windows 98(you don`t say what version of windows you are using or your setup).

This is very recent. Go to the update site and then come back and let us know how you get on. Whilst you are on the MS site check for any more "Critical Updates " you might be short of.

Regards,

Charles

Dr. Charles 14:28 10 Feb 2003

)Oh dear!!!!!

©®@$ђ 14:33 10 Feb 2003

when you press cntrl,alt del

which program has stopped responding, does it say

to scan disk properly

restart computer and keep pressing f8 and then choose safe mode and choose scan disk, this will run scan disk and without any other software running that could cause it to keep restarting itself

don't be put off by the horrible color its normal

once the scan has finished restart the computer and let it load normally

Dr. Charles 16:52 10 Feb 2003

Hi Dr Charles.I am on windows ME and how do I run system file checker?
Also what update site are you refering to?

Thank you

Dr. Charles 16:57 10 Feb 2003

Diane there is a "General update" site at the website below. This will change to "Click here" when I finish this posting

click here

It is the Critcal updates site for Microsoft.

I don`t know much about WIN ME but give it a shot. The is an update for IE^ which again is helpful --both these posted very recently

Regards,

Charles

Dr. Charles 17:06 10 Feb 2003

Any ME users can help?????

Regards,

Charles

Dr. Charles 12:21 11 Feb 2003

Refresh

Giggle n' Bits 12:31 11 Feb 2003

you are using. The CPU if you know, any recent changes you have made to the copmputer, added software or hardware etc.

Giggle n' Bits 12:35 11 Feb 2003

the needed windows updates & Security Patches for WinME, Ie, Media Player. There is one download in for Me at MS you will problably not need as well as not the Language ones, I think its relating Networking update which is not needed unles you are on a network.

What are your System Resources % settings. and howe much memory.

Is your system resources down to under 70%.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?